Hello all going to train to be a sparky

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmilner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an interview tomorrow night at our local college to enrol in a course to do Electrical Installation Diploma Level 1 & 2 in the evening, twice a week for 2 years. Then i would complete the level 3 after this.

Currently in IT and fed up with the Corporate world and need a change. 38 this year so a big step and change for me, but looking forward to it.

Mad M

Well just got back from enrolling. Gave the payment and signed on the dotted line...

Start Level 1/2 in sept 2016

mad M

Hi Mad M

Welcome and good luck with your training. I have one question why are you doing the level 1? in my experience this is a qualification for the 16-19 year olds, before eventually progressing onto an Apprenticeship and is mainly set up by colleges to receive extra government funding. If you are paying for this out of your own pocket I would seriously advise trying to get onto the level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations (2365), which is generally the starting qualification. It is not a recognised qualification in the industry and has no bearing on gaining your qualified Electrician status and for most adults it isn't needed.

Sorry to sound harsh but I dislike seeing Adults being miss-sold this course and will end up with you spending more time on very basic subjects.

Neil

Thanks Neil,

I am indeed doing a course sold as Electrical Installation Diploma Level 2 Evening. This includes 1. There is no 1 so to speak the level 2 is a 2 year evening course and the 3rd year is level 3. Then im told there is an NVQ assessment on a portfolio, then AM2 assessment from a 3rd party.

Sound right to you? thank you for your post, i would prefer total honesty than worry about being harsh! :D

Yeah sounds fine as long as you aren't spending anytime on a level 1 Course otherwise it sounds about right. Be prepared to see people drop like flies, some people find it difficult studying 2 evenings a week for 3 years. 

There are some great guys here on this forum, who will be willing to answer questions on anything you struggle to understand, so make sure you stick about :).

yeah i bet a few drop out. not me though mate, been through tougher times than this lately so this is a dream come true. Really looking forward to it.

I will stay around here as it looks like a place where loads of info is discussed. nice to see a good forum rather than hearing about social bloody media all the time. gets on my ....

M