Hello

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trev

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm Trev and I'm a long time member but first time poster, figured I should probably put that right.

I'm a 51 year old apprentice trained spark, husband of 1 (sort of since we're not married) father of 3, grandad of 1. I like music, beer, rugby and my job.

It's me who is responsible for the Facebook page which Damian was on about on another thread which is now closed (I'd be posting this on there otherwise)

Why did I do it? I hear you ask.

Many reasons, I'm a member of a few sparks forums and I'm sick of hearing the same old same old over and over again. 5WW bad, scams terrible, beuraucracy evil, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I see this on a daily basis so I decided it was time to either put up or shut up.

Yes I'm advocating what could be described as civil disobedience, well I'm pretty well into that sort of thing. Nothing was ever changed by people quietly accepting "That's just the way things are"

Another reason is that I see the schemes as a cancer on our trade, as an example the ESC had an income last year of £35 million. When did you last see an ad campaign from them promoting what they are supposed to be doing? The NICEIC like to shout about how they are the guardians of electrical safety, we've all seen examples of terrible work done by people "Proud to wear their badge"

The DCLG probe into what is going on will come up with a fudge. Of that there is no doubt! They will then all shout about what they've done and how proud they are to have done it, meanwhile nothing will change and we'll all still be seeing the same old rubbish in 5 years time.

If it falls flat on it's backside it means that no one can ever complain about any of the things mentioned above so it'll end a debate which we're all sick of.

For now I'm going to shut up but if anyone wants a chat or a debate into the merits/demerits of what I've done then I'm available either in public or by private message. I'm even prepared to pass out my mobile number if you want a chat. I promise I don't bite (A lot of you will know that anyway) All I'll ask is that you A) Don't have a go at Damian, it's my doing not his and B) keep any negativity off the facebook page. You don't have to agree with me but I'd appreciate negativity being kept away from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thread was closed simply because it was in breach of the terms of use of the forum, nothing else.

Welcome Trev.

My submission to the Parliamentary Select Committee suggested the lack of promotion of the trade and such like by the scams.

I thought that was the reason Sidewinder, I wasn't suggesting anything other mate but thought that since I stuck my head over the parapet then any flak or questions about it should be taken by me as I'm the instigator

Stick around, please, whilst we do have T's & C's like any other forum, we try to be fair and open minded"

A lot of people around have the same views as yourself, I suspect.

Hi Trev, and welcome you already know who I am :)

I think everyone in part agrees with you, civil disobedience could only work if it was on a great scale which I think could never happen as yet. The parliamentary debate is far from making any conclusions as yet so it may not be all gloom and doom. The ESC has been making changes, I am not defending them I have publicly attacked them and criticised them in the past, I am however prepared to see how they implement those changes they promise.

Stick around and join in

The problem with the schemes is that at the end of the day, they are a business and therefore in it to make money... another problem is that unlike gas safe where every operative needs a "license" electrical contractors only need "enough" QSs for the size of their business, they are also not independantly assessed, again unlike gas safe operatives

Hi Trev, and welcome you already know who I am :)

I think everyone in part agrees with you, civil disobedience could only work if it was on a great scale which I think could never happen as yet. 
I'm in no way a communist but we all know what Mao said about a journey of 1000 miles starting with a single step. Maybe I'm being over dramatic

The problem with the schemes is that at the end of the day, they are a business and therefore in it to make money... 
You hit the nail right on the head there Noz and that's what I'm objecting to. The schemes will badge anything that moves as long as they get their £, when was the last time anyone heard from them regards electrical safety. The whole thing is a bloody joke.

I'm not against DIs, I don't think you have to be that qualified to wire a house but what the public deserve is something more than someone who has passed his 17th. Proper structured training, a monitoring body with long sharp teeth and individual competence and I'll shut up :)

trev,

I'll let you into a secret, and something, that I for one, thought was not a little bit ironic,

you have a facebook campaign aimed at getting 5ww and the rest of the incompetent ilk removed from being classed as competent by the schemes,

but, then, up pops Damian promoting it, who himself has only done a short course, albeit it took him 3 years to complete a 1 year course,,,,, :C

and, because it took him 3years, he 'thinks' he has done an apprenticeship,,,,,,  :shakehead

Im lost as to how 'you dont have to be that qualified to wire a house'  ,,,,,

are domestic electrics that much safer than other 230v electric?

id say its more dangerous, DIY etc, even the regs class it as more dangerous, hence the 'general' requirement to have RCD protection on most circuits.

Latest posts