help! - how is my tenant making my boiler go onto lockout

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
talk to Westcountry Landlords association and CAB.

Given risk of explosion I think you could be justifed in waiting for her to go out, then changing locks and dumping her s***e on the pavement

talk to Westcountry Landlords association and CAB.

Given risk of explosion I think you could be justifed in waiting for her to go out, then changing locks and dumping her s***e on the pavement
now that would be good..

probably not legal, but then interefering with a gas boiler isn't legal either

However, if the boiler is 'condemned' and it is not safe for your tennat to remain in the premises, you may be able to persuade tenant to apply to council for emergency accomodation. I'm sure she would love a lovelly council flat, (which means she will take s***e with her)  Then never let her return....... ]:)

In reality she'll end up in B&B - crappy one at that!

probably not legal, but then interefering with a gas boiler isn't legal either

However, if the boiler is 'condemned' and it is not safe for your tennat to remain in the premises, you may be able to persuade tenant to apply to council for emergency accomodation. I'm sure she would love a lovelly council flat, (which means she will take s***e with her)  Then never let her return....... ]:)

In reality she'll end up in B&B - crappy one at that!
The boiler is fine - gas safety certificate done in December. It would work fine if she didn't tamper with it!!!!

Sligsy I presume!
yep! - and it was the downstairs tenant all along.........

If your flats are both inspected the upstairs one would get a big fat fail from me as they can't access their fuse board. 

Me me thinks you should get it moved, good tenants or bad!

I would agree with Murdoch on this point, as I was under the impression that legally all tenants should have access to the incoming gas, water and electrical supply service points in any property they rent. And to any appliances for heating the rooms or water.  The fact that something has worked for 15 years is irrelevant.  I would have thought either you need to install independent facilities or give all tenants access to all such appliances or equipment.  Guidance such as http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/electrical-safety does say "Make sure that tenants know the location of and have access to the main consumer unit, fuses and isolator switch."  In the event of a fault or emergency it would be reasonable for any tenant to expect to be able to either turn power off or reset it. I would double check your legal responsibilities in this matter. 

Doc H.

A 15 year old suprima is perfectly capable of putting itself into lockout all on its own without any outside help. The damned things are a pain in the arris. 

But it if you think they are tampering them get some of those tamper evident security seal stickers and stick them over the joints of the cover and over the hinged door which covers the boiler stat control. Then explain to the tenant that if the seal is broken then she will be charged for a plumbers call out to fix the boiler. 

You can get room thermostats which have a blank cover (for public places) which you would set to a temperature and then it is fixed at that point. Or you can get thermostats which can be limited to only operate within a restricted band of temperatures (so you could set a minimum of 17 and max of 23 to prevent it being turned off completely)

A 15 year old suprima is perfectly capable of putting itself into lockout all on its own without any outside help. The damned things are a pain in the arris. 

+1, the original PCB that came with the boiler has had its problems and I have had to replace a few come to think of it.

No. 1 answer , move Steptoe in for 2 weeks.

Just thinking of reasons for lock out ;

Shut gas off .

Drop the pressure below 1 bar.

Block the flue

Stop the fan working

I think she could be legally evicted as a danger to the other tenant AND  messing with gas appliances when not registered has led to imprisonment .   

Last edited by a moderator:
+1, the original PCB that came with the boiler has had its problems and I have had to replace a few come to think of it.

And the fans, and the heat exchangers 

and then there was the brilliant condensing version they brought out when that set of rules came in to effect.

I'd get the vicar round to exorcise the place then explain that it only leaves her as the culprit so any further incidences will involve a trip to the institution for nutters? 

Thank you Rob, you have been most helpful - ....padlock at the ready.....

No, the fuseboard is in a cupboard under the stairs which only the ground floor flat has access to.......me thinks I need to get it moved to the communal hallway - but it has worked fine for 15 years, they just split the bills 50/50.

that would be telling
Just split the bills 50/50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be mad if i was a tennant sharing bills with my family who use electric constantly. Just splitting the bill is very unfair. No access to the supplies for your own flat is awful.

I think your tennant suits your standard of installation attitude towards them. You need to get each flat independant and if you can not afford to do so you should sell it.

I too would be on the wind up if i was expected to split bills, unless the other tennant was sharing the wife i might reconsider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts