Help. I Thought Ununtu Was Supposted To Be Perfect And Simple.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next question

How to share files over the network?

On my windoze PC I have a shared folder mapped on the network as public as //office/shared

I want to be able to access files on that from the lappy.

What's the equivalent of wondoz's "map network drive"?

If I just try browsing the network it can't see it.

Left click the folder you want to share,

Click on share folder

Allow it to install what it needs if you don't already have it,

That's it, job done.

You can also choose whether or not to grant other users permissions to write or simply read.

That should be right click

DOH,!!!!

On the Windoze PC.

right click on Properties, open Sharing tab.

I have clicked "share this folder on the network" and given it the name "Shared"

I have also clicked "allow network users to change my files"

the other windoze pc's on the network can see it, but the ubuntu pc can't. (or I haven't figured out how yet)

Ok, you need to install SAMBA on the ubuntu pc.

That should work.

I can see all the devices on my network,

Android phones/tablets, BB tablet, wife's work lappie running W7 etc

or,

go to the software centre,

it then downloads all the dependencies too  :D

saves faffing about with the wrong command  ;)

or, or , or, or, 

make a dummy folder on the desktop, right click and share it, it will then prompt you to accept all dependencies and install SAMBA , simples, :)

Well I installed this samba thing.

It made no difference.  I still could not find a way for the ubuntu lappy to see the shared folder on the windoze pc.

So on the basis there is more than one way to skin a cat (I only want a mechanism to swap files between them over the network)  I have created a shared folder on the lappy, and the windoze PC has no trouble finding it and reading and writing to it.

It still remains a mystery what magic command I am missing as to why the lappy can't see the windoze drives, but not worth wasting time on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's working now.

What WAS happening was when you tried to browse the windows network, there was a pause, then it said something like "oops we can't connect you" (I forget the exact working)

I tried that again after installing samba. Same result.

Having set up networking the other way, I thought I would try it again and post a screen shot of the error message.  But blow me down it works now.  :C

Canoeboy said:
Samba should kick up an error in terminal and not install as its older and hasn't got the dependancies for 14.xx, hence cifs - which works
ah, see, I dunno, Im still on a clockwork version,  12.04 I think,    :|

maybe it installs cifs as a dependency as well ?  :C

is cifs backward compatible with samba I wonder? maybe not, thats why it installs samba as well for older versions,  :C

yer, I think he is on 14.xx

as I use it as my Primary OS I tend to stick with the LTS releases,

sometimes I will upgrade one of my other systems with an interim release if I have time to try it out,

just now Im a bit hammered, think Ive got a good subby contract coming in that should pay decent,  :)

Well I've just gotta say thanks to PD for this thread, it has brought tears to my eyes and exercised my stomach muscles all at the same time, bless you and congrats on your perseverance. :Applaud :)

The trouble with windoze is not just driver disks.

Recent example: New network connected HP laser printer.  to "install" that on the windoze machine require you to run an install program that I had to download from HP (normal "add printers" did not find it). On one of the machines it then insisted on a half hour download of the latest version of .NET before the install program would even run. Then a re boot.

The ubuntu machine just found the printer on  it's own and it works.

The only problems I am having with ubuntu is that is is new to me so I don't know the tweaks to get things working. But I am learning. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Still not convinced it would replace a windoze pc for everything, but it's a good contender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its like everything, if your equipment is up to date then things normally work fine, I have Windows 8.1.1 on all my machines, the laptops are about 18 months old and the desktop I rebuild every 2 years just because I like doing it. Windows installed every device I had with no issues on anything.

However on an older machine or device then the drivers most likely will not be available in the latest windows, there has to be a line or else the OS would get huge.

I had problems with ubuntu, where my hardware is new it was not recognised, but with windows it was.

The first thing I do anyway is download and install all the latest drivers for each device, I don't expect either OS to have the best or latest driver.

Ubuntu is ok and its free, but I still prefer windows and I have both.

Steve, the main hardware issue with unintuitive is the manufaxturers, and whether or not they will release the source code to the Ubuntu developers or not, HP actively support ubuntu and  even have older drivers on their website, as well as hplip installed in the OS.

You don't normally need to download any drivers foe ubuntu, it auto detects on install ans downloads if it can, it's only for stuff that has no code released there is an issue.

I use ubuntu solely every day for past 6years. 

Get decent hardware and there is no problem,

Certain software can be a problem tho, so I understand why some people need windoze of some sort. 

Honestly it can be such a pain, I would never go back 

Not even that, but the fact that it just needs you to input EVERYTHING!

Honestly, call me lazy but I prefer Windows 7

Latest posts