Help Me Identify A Failed Accessory (Fcu)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fitted one to feed a 3KW heater a few weeks ago.
These products are rated at 13amp max, and at 3Kwatt they are running very close to this limit.  (at 235 volts about 12.75 amps)
I'd point out to them your load was also linear (AC1) so it's a reasonable expectaton it will handle the load stated on it.

What happens when someone uses it for a 3kW inductive load?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd point out to them your load was also linear (AC1) so it's a reasonable expectaton it will handle the load stated on it.

What happens when someone uses it for a 3kW inductive load?
Probably why it is traditional to wire these sorts of loads (immersions, nsh) through dp switches rather than fused spurs.

Knightsbridge are utter crap i get them supplied by a landlord i work for who insist on buying his own materials from his mate down the road So thats the mentiond switches and sockets and lovely Chint plastic consumer units !

The sockets feel very cheap and nasty the same with the light switches. Saying that ive had a full box of ten MK switched fused spurs with crap terminals waiting for the sales rep to get back on that one.

Bought a load of gil-flex 2 gang light switches once they failed almost instantly so i was genrous and donated them to my local college !

Should a fixed continuous 3kw load be connected to an FCU any way?.

Might be a case of putting that one down to experience, its a the same old story yu get what you pay for and im not sure id sllep at night with that sort of rubbish installed in any of my customers houses.

I pay about £2,30 to £3.00 for top brand FCU,S not bad in the scale of things theese days

they do look very similar to the knightbridge stuff!!

i certainly would not accept that response from CPC    if the FCU is rated at 13a  and the 3kw load is drawing under 13a  regardless if it is close to 13a it is still under the rating that the FCU states as its maximum load!

As streety said, we had a box full of MK ones that where utter rubbish     we prefer fitting crabtree at the moment.

CPC have agreed to take them back, but won't commit to what action they are taking until they have "tested" them on arrival.

I will let you know the outcome.

No further complaint from the customer, the Crabtree one is living up to expectations.

What is wrong with MK at the moment is it me or is the quality not good for the money am i the only person who finds the terminals rubbish and soft metal that can only be tightened once before it sheeers off its very dissapointing for so called UK made having used Mk for years i try my best to avoid it once i tried  Hager Solysta never looked back if youve never tried Hager give it a try its great stuff to use very user friendly

Last edited by a moderator:
MK uk manufactured?? i dont even thinks its assembled here anymore,  alot of the remainder MK stuff we have left over has Made in Malaysia written on it :S

The terminals for some reason do feel softer and sheer off no sooner do u try and terminate into them and seem shallower then they used to,

the sockets just dont feel the same quality anymore

the surface mount pattress's  had 4 of them fail on installation ( dressing cable into it ) the entire thing either cracks  or the pattress screw holes ping through the containment plastics.

the consumer units - MCB's just refuse to sit straight and appear to tilt to one side, the board itself feels like very cheap plastic, and since the recall of the switch disconnectors it has just put me off them even more.

Well in 40 years I've tried them all, and always end up going back to MK for the range they offer and the look.

As for failures I've about 1 each year, compared to others which seemed something wrong in every box.

Maybe decent screwdrivers and not a heavy hand are required  :coat   :coat

I know one thing when my stocks of MK are used up i wont be replacing them. Crabtree all the way for me nicer terminals in the switches and sockets