Help planning and prep exam, unit 205 2330 level 2

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainee1

Reaction score
hi all,

i have planning and preperation exam on 20th april on 2 way lighting circuit strapper method and ring final circuit with 4 sockets and a spur coming of.

im really struggling. im fine with the risk assessment, but what is really concerning me most is the material list. According to my lecturers i require around 45+ items which include fixures and fittings. i only have 40 items, where am i going short? im not sure if i even got them right

can someone please help me with this, im really stressing out!!!!!

im also slightly confused with the 2 way lighting strapper method, im not sure about the cables to use (basics i know). reason being i was absent for first few weeks and got behind with workshop work. to catch up my lecturers have been signing of my work without actually going through it properly, some of my material list have not been completed properly but been signed off, so now its causing me problems.

so this is what i have so far, here goes:

1) consumer unit x 1

2) main switch x 1

3) miniture circuit breaker 6A x 1

4) miniture circuit breaker 32A x 1

5) ceiling rose pendant x 1

6) ceiling rose battern holder x 1

7) steel wire armour 3 core x 1metre

8) 20mm2 glands x 2

9) 20mm2 banjo x 2

10) Crimps blue x 2 (earth banjo)

11) brass M5 nuts and bolts x 2

12) shrouds x 2

13) 20mm2 locknuts x 3 (1 for consumer unit)

14) cleats x 2

15) 20mm male bush x 1

17) 20mm coupling x 1

18) red rawplugs x

19) No. 8 countersunk screws 1 3/4" x

20) No. 8 roundhead screws 1 3/4" x

21) plate screws x

22) open grommets

23) closed grommets

24) 1 gang 2 way 5A plate switch x 2

25) 1 gang pvc backbox 32mm surface mount x 2

26) identification sleeving brown x

27) identification sleeving G/Y x

28) 1mm2 single and earth cpc pvc cable x (for 2 way i think)

29) 1mm2 3 core cpc pvc cable x (for 2 way i think)30) 2.5mm2 cable clips x

31) 2 gang socket outlets x 5

32) 2 gang 32mm pvc double back boxes surface mounted x 5

33) 2.5mm2 earth cable x (ring circuit)

34) 2.5mm2 pvc cable brown x (ring circuit)

35) 2.5mm2 pvc cable blue x (ring circuit)36) pvc conduit black 20mm2 x

37) 20mm spacer bar saddle x

38) 20mm 1 way pvc end round back box x 1

39) inspection Tee joint x 2

40) inpection Tee lid x 2

41) connector block 5A x 3 (i dont know what this is used with, advice wold be appreciated)

the items in red are the ones im not sure about, if you could give me any advice it would be much appreciated,

thanks

PS could you check my ring final circuit with spur if its correct, I have attached it with this thread.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu233/trainee_2009/ringcircuitwithspur.jpg

you could use

ladders/steps

battery screw gun

battery drill

various drill bits

posi screw driver

safety glasses

safety hat no it sound to much but done mine last year and we had to put all ppe in.

if you put into google image 2 way light swithcing that will give tou what you need.

with your list of gear just think you are going out to do the job and what wold you need to take.

hope this helps

safety glasses

safety hat no it sound to much but done mine last year and we had to put all ppe in.

with your list of gear just think you are going out to do the job and what wold you need to take.

hope this helps
I agree with searley. Is the conduit being bent? Remember bending spring and PVC cement, even if its not going to be use!

Parts list looks ok, not sure about the connector block tho. And 1mm2 cable clips?

Maybe im missing something.... but bending springs, ladders etc aint exactly 'materials'

And its a good thing work doesnt get done the way college expect....

Job: move light switch 50mm higher.

1: Write out materials list, inc each individual screw and clip.

2: start job

3: break cable clip

4: another trip to wholesaler/stores

5: wall plug is unusable:

6: as 4

etc

Real world: take parts tray. get job done

City and Guilds required a tools list on 205 last year, probably same this year (forgot to add IR/continuity tester).

I think they required you to list the comsumables, but I might be wrong. Would have been a lot easier to just say comsumables on parts list!

What You have listed in your OP, sounds like the 206 Not the 205 to me.

If that is the case - have a look at the "completed 206 paperwork".

Type into the Search facility here, Exactly what I have highlighted above. :D

Your spur diagram is fine, your material list could be improved with the inclusion of insulation tape for identification purposes ie at the end of first fix.

Preventing water ingress until final fixing.

Labels for identification of mixed wiring colours, danger notices,switching instructions,and of course often over looked especially on a colledge course inspection and results certificates, Periodic inspection interval label,and circuit diagram and layout etc.

Often a material list will be mistaken for a tool or what is required list.

The tools are not materials and could not be added to the job.

You have to first work out how you are going to do the job.

The list all the materials you are likel;y to use.This is down to the last screw and the last bolt.

If you do not charge the customer for the 0.02p rawlplug over the lifetime of your career you would have lost a difference of making a happy retirement with one of oh dear I am on state benifits now.

If cables are to be surface mounted its a good idea to asses the risk of damage and consider enclosing the cables in conduit, or trunking.

The risk assesment takes more thought.

First rule do not work on anything live.

Second rule if you can not work on anything live how do you verify its dead

Third rule test known live circuit

Fourth rule test dead circuit

Fifth rule test known live circuit to verify test leads are working.

sixth rule test dead circuit again, and again.

CABLE CLIPS!!!! 1,25mm and 2,5mm

I agree with searley. Is the conduit being bent? Remember bending spring and PVC cement, even if its not going to be use!Parts list looks ok, not sure about the connector block tho. And 1mm2 cable clips?
the tools list is seperate and we basically have to do is tick of all the tools required and the sizes eg spanner size, i have accounted the bending spring but cmon lads cement :LOL im working in a bay at college.

one final question someone told me we have to use single 1.5mm2 pvc g/y (earth), blue (switch live) and brown (live) for the 2 way lighting strapper method, is that right because i have listed something different (look at 28 and 29) i wasnt sure about them so put them in red.

cheerz lads.

have a pint on me lads Guiness Drink

Your spur diagram is fine, your material list could be improved with the inclusion of insulation tape for identification purposes ie at the end of first fix.Preventing water ingress until final fixing.

Labels for identification of mixed wiring colours, danger notices,switching instructions,and of course often over looked especially on a colledge course inspection and results certificates, Periodic inspection interval label,and circuit diagram and layout etc.

Often a material list will be mistaken for a tool or what is required list.

The tools are not materials and could not be added to the job.

You have to first work out how you are going to do the job.

The list all the materials you are likel;y to use.This is down to the last screw and the last bolt.

If you do not charge the customer for the 0.02p rawlplug over the lifetime of your career you would have lost a difference of making a happy retirement with one of oh dear I am on state benifits now.

If cables are to be surface mounted its a good idea to asses the risk of damage and consider enclosing the cables in conduit, or trunking.

The risk assesment takes more thought.

First rule do not work on anything live.

Second rule if you can not work on anything live how do you verify its dead

Third rule test known live circuit

Fourth rule test dead circuit

Fifth rule test known live circuit to verify test leads are working.

sixth rule test dead circuit again, and again.

CABLE CLIPS!!!! 1,25mm and 2,5mm
safe isolation

when i done my exam only last year we where told to put on the list what we would use if we where going to do the job outside of college IE an installation.

if you don`t need steps how high is your bay you are working in.

That's right Searly - that is what we had to/ have to base everything on.

one final question someone told me we have to use single 1.5mm2 pvc g/y (earth), blue (switch live) and brown (live) for the 2 way lighting strapper method, is that right because i have listed something different (look at 28 and 29) i wasnt sure about them so put them in red.

also i need to add blue sleeving for the steel wire armour, i also been told i need sub main board for steel wire armour, what size mcb do i require for that?

if the lighting circuit is being wired in conduit you will probably be using 1.5mm2 6491X Pvc Singles. As for the sub main you may need to check this as it could be between a prefixed switchfuse and the CU.

if the lighting circuit is being wired in conduit you will probably be using 1.5mm2 6491X Pvc Singles. As for the sub main you may need to check this as it could be between a prefixed switchfuse and the CU.
you dont have to write the code do you, 1.5mm2 pvc brow would be find wont it?

to be honest i dont know what the s.w.a cable is used for, only thing i can think of is providing power to the circuit, we plugin main power.

so would i need to list sub main then and what size mcb do i need to fit?

last question i know that one end of the s.w.a is fixed to the consumer unit but what about the other end? is it attached to sub board?

you dont have to write the code do you, 1.5mm2 pvc brow would be find wont it?to be honest i dont know what the s.w.a cable is used for, only thing i can think of is providing power to the circuit, we plugin main power.

so would i need to list sub main then and what size mcb do i need to fit?

last question i know that one end of the s.w.a is fixed to the consumer unit but what about the other end? is it attached to sub board?
IIRC, there is a switch fuse at the bottom with SWA between this and DB. then a bit flex is used to power switch fuse

when i done my exam only last year we where told to put on the list what we would use if we where going to do the job outside of college IE an installation.if you don`t need steps how high is your bay you are working in.
i have accounted the steps, that will go into my tools list.

Latest posts