Help to Interpret a Regulation ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but Mr Evans was asking how to get around fitting an RCD if I'm reading his [ost correctly.
Not exactly  Binky  ,   I've been putting welding sockets in for years but never with an RCD  .

Now , with the Regs coming in over the last few years ,   we started with RCDs for outside sockets ............ then it was virtually ALL sockets  unless you fitted a label ....then it was under the control of skilled personal...then it was for ALL circuits in a bathroom ....then  for buried cables  unless they were  a certain depth deep in the wall  .......  also sockets up to 20 amp was it  ??  but include over 20A  for  mobile  vehicles ....on & on  ...now we have 300 different types of RCD  in the equation .   

I imagined a welder knocking the RCD out all the time ,  but putting one OUTSIDE raised the question .      However The Canny Geordie has experience of this and assures that an RCD will be no problem .     They hav'nt  answered my quote as yet  but if they go ahead it will indeed be RCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly  Binky  ,   I've been putting welding sockets in for years but never with an RCD  .

Now , with the Regs coming in over the last few years ,   we started with RCDs for outside sockets ............ then it was virtually ALL sockets  unless you fitted a label ....then it was under the control of skilled personal...then it was for ALL circuits in a bathroom ....then  for buried cables  unless they were  a certain depth deep in the wall  .......  also sockets up to 20 amp was it  ??  but include over 20A  for  mobile  vehicles ....on & on  ...now we have 300 different types of RCD  in the equation .   

Know what you mean, I need to re-read this section of the regs to confirm when we don't have to RCD things. I've still got it in my head that industrial doesn't necessarily need RCDs or surface cable runs. I particularly need to double check on the solar side, becuase solar inverters can be good at tripping RCDs, but most now have some form of RCD protection built in. 

It has got silly , where you adapt to one upgrade and then they keep adding and altering . 

Domestic work now ,  I think just RCBO s on everything , end of .    All this pratting about .    What was it ?  Freezer socket without RCD but MUST  have label  , but you can't do that because the cable is buried in the wall  less than 50 mm deep , but you could use a  Flexishield  cable , but then you'd have to buy a whole drum  @ £1000,000 .

It has got silly , where you adapt to one upgrade and then they keep adding and altering . 

Domestic work now ,  I think just RCBO s on everything , end of .    All this pratting about .    What was it ?  Freezer socket without RCD but MUST  have label  , but you can't do that because the cable is buried in the wall  less than 50 mm deep , but you could use a  Flexishield  cable , but then you'd have to buy a whole drum  @ £1000,000 .

I think it’s all got out of hand.

change for change sake ....

more like change so IET get a few back handers from manufacturers for selling more of their products...

I don't think its that murky, but this insistence on 3 yearly regulation changes is "forcing" them to adopt ill thought out changes PLUS they seem to forget about the ill conceived changes previously implemented, which really need more thought/revisions/clarification.

To be a fly on the wall during these meetings would be fascinating ............