high end too end results

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title really,I'm changing a board,and on the pre test ready for change I've got r1 and rn of 0.85 and r2 of 1.99. R1 + R2 is 0.89. Cable is 2.5/1mm2 t&e. Ze-0.11 Zs-1.11(on no trip setting)tncs system,mcb would have been 32A normally, and with As reading still within limits can't see there being a prob to he honest- but am all ears to the more knowledgeable. Its a biggish house.is there a limit on end to end readings?

Wayne

The readings seem OK to me. With a biggish house the ring main/s may cover a larger area and so more cable will be in circuit resulting in higher end to end readings. With a 1.0mm cpc you will get an r2 reading approx 2 and a half times higher than the r1 and rn. Your R1 + R2 should be approx (r1+r2)/4 so 0.89 seems reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats what i thought mate, just the highest readings ive had, just got me thinking (dangerous) so wondered if the end to end have a limit like R1+R2.

cheers for quick reply mate

Hi Monkey,

Stating the obvious, but on that cable size r2 should be 1.67 times greater than r1 or rn. Not a million miles out, but you could retest (poor connection).

R1 + R2 from your results should be 0.71 ohms (r1 + r2 /4), so again not a million miles out though there are far more knowledgeable people on here than me.

Hi Monkey,Stating the obvious, but on that cable size r2 should be 1.67 times greater than r1 or rn.
That would apply for a 1.5mm cpc, it's 2.5 times for a 1.0mm.

AFAIK, there is no end to end limit, as long as the ring main does not cover a floor area of more than 100 metres squared. If r1 and rn are within 0.05 ohms of each other and r2 matches up OK (be it 1.67 times r1/rn (1.5mm cpc), 2.5 times r1/rn (1.0mm cpc) or r2 roughly equal to r1/rn (2.5mm cpc).... then it should be OK. Quite commonly r1/ rn will be less than 1 ohm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engaging fingers before brain again :coat

Been testing ring finals all day in the cold so a little too focussed. Time for a cold drink Guinness

Latest posts