High Voltage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im working in a house out in country which is pole fed and ive TT'd it as there was no earth at all :)

The problem is the voltage fluctuates from 240V to 260V and the result is loads of bulbs blown and the alarm system goes off randomly (4am this morning was last one) but its going to be Redcare so is going to cause major problems with police turning up for false alarms.

I got the client to ring UKPN tonight and they said they would attend either tonight or tomorrow but I wondered if it was a case of turning the tap down on the pole transformer or is it duff and needs replacing.

Ive discussed a V Phase unit if he doesnt have any joy with the DNO sorting it as 253V is maximum allowed.

The house is worth over 1 mil and his hifi is

Its interesting M4tty , let us know how it develops . Don't take any action yet , see what the Network guys come up with first. They must be able to stabilise it , surely?

I know it happens , I knew of an industrial estate with it's own street lighting using , I think, 300W GLS lamps which kept blowing due to the voltage , 260V . Firm I was with bought in 260V lamps to solve it .

Hi Evans, where did you get the 260volt lamps from? What sort were they? Did it work in the long run.

Matty, could you fit a surge suppression unit maybe?

Worked in a factory recently near the forest of dean. They had BMS fitted and the voltage at the panel was 260v and was blowing the trend panels( well I think thats what they were called) Turns out the mains room in the factory had a transformer in it so they had someone out to turn it down. Must admit i have never seen a mains room like it before. The supply transformer was in the middle of quite a small room with a large panel on one side. Had a gravel trap and everything. Thought they were normally on their own. Anyway Problem solved!!

what about one of these new voltage optimizers that we fit infiont of the the new db that drops all voltage 230 just a thought

Im sure you mean his brother Russ, ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:27 ----------

on thinking about it,

its maybe a

My voltage is usually around the 250V mark. For my recent NICEIC inspection I decided to fit a V-Phase VX1 optimiser as something for the chap to look at. He wasn't very impressed.

However it does work as it reduces the voltage to 220V or by a maximum of 30V. So now I get between 220 and 225V. Nothing bad to report.

If fitting to you mates

My voltage is usually around the 250V mark. For my recent NICEIC inspection I decided to fit a V-Phase VX1 optimiser as something for the chap to look at. He wasn't very impressed. However it does work as it reduces the voltage to 220V or by a maximum of 30V. So now I get between 220 and 225V. Nothing bad to report.

If fitting to you mates

Thanks for all the replies guys you lot crack me up. Ukpn came round and said the earth straps had been stolen off the pole. They replaced and now voltage 248v. Sound right ?

Missing earth straps might mean that N was no longer referenced to E at the transformer, but I can't see why it would make any difference to the L-N voltage.

Keep your eye on it, you might be calling them again.

would fit voltage stabilisation anyway - it'll improve and protect his stereo and all his other expensive electrical gear. There are a few domestic units on the market now that handle much larger ampage than V-phase, like 80A / 100A so you just install before the CU instead of having to ****** about re-arranging circuits

On a 3-phase system, if the neutral was floating wrt earth then its voltage will follow the phase with the highest load and you will see very high voltages between the N and either of the other two phases.

Latest posts