High Zs On All Circuits.. Advice Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/ ok so why haven't you R1+R2 the rest of the circuits, do so pronto.

2/ have you nulled your test leads / checked your plug-in test plug or whatever you are using.

3/ go home and practice on your own house get your test gear sussed before returning to site - it's a lot less embarrasing

4/ don't go testing again for a while, you don't have the skills yet - it comes with experience and understanding exactly what your test gear does, and how. It is very easy to get in a twist when you don't really understand. Stick to the offical test routines and methods and you should be able to sort yourself out, do not depart from the official routines unless you want to end up completely baffled like I did many years ago.
I think you need to read this thread again as he is practising at his own house.

I did a Zs on all circuits and they were all massive readings, clearly taking into account parallel earth paths , hence giving me the massive reading. . That told me there was a common problem with the earthing arrangement. I did a Ze and between Line and Neutral I got a reading .19. When I conducted the test between Line and. Protective earth I did not get a reading. Clearly there was an issue with the main Earth into my house. The link was missing between the neutral block on the incoming supply to the point where I was able to connect. My terminology may not be great but I do have a decent understanding and I am pleased I haven't been given the answer and found it myself. Great learning.

A day without learning is a day wasted.

Yes all good learning.

It would be nice to see a picture of the missing earth link. In two more posts time you will be able to attach images to posts so perhaps describe this link.

Sometimes the earth connection provided with TNCS is literally the same block of brass that forms the neutral connectiion. Other times they give you a separate earth block. It all depends what supply head is fitted.

Cheers Dave,

The neutral block was on of the same from the cut out but the brass link was missing.

I would love to see a picture.

One more post and you are up to 10 posts. You should then be able to edit the post and add a picture.

Well for what I know, and this is very little with not having as much experience as most of the folk on here think they have...

Surely opening up the head to gain access to the neutral is illegal as it is not your equipment

How can you be sure the link was "missing"?.....could it possibly have been left out on purpose as this was intended to be a TT install?

As i said, i know little , so i may well be wrong

Just saying