hob and seperate oven

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfitz

Reaction score
i have to provide an installation to accomodate a 3.7 kw hob and a 3.5 kw oven my question is, is a seperate 6mm circuit req'd for each with seperate breakers or can i double up my apologies if this seems a daft question but i am mostly industrial and am doing this as a favour for a friend would appreciate any help cheers

3500w + 3700w = 7200w

7200/230 = 31.3A

6mm cable carries 46Amps, so yes a 6mm on a 40amp is fine. Thats all calculated before allowing for diversity which is allowable on cookers.

One circuit is fine, you could use one isolator as well if they are within 2m. There are other regs to consider, length of run, thermal etc as to size of cable, number of circuits and isolation.

Thanks to all but just so i'm clear, using a 40 A mcb i can run 1 circuit and link the cooker switch to the hob and cooker ?

If my mental arithmetic is still working then I calculate this total load to be about 17.5 amps after standard diversity. You could put both on a 20A/2.5mm radial, though it would be more conventional to use a 32A/6mm radial which would allow for larger appliances in the future.

Must say, though, that 3.7kW seems awful small for a hob.

pc it's part of a very expensive kitchen comprising half gas half electric cooker and hob hence small rating, i was also thinking along the lines of the 2.5 circuit to keep cost down but think will settle on 6mm for peace of mind, thanks again one and all

Check the fuse req for these appliances, you may find they both need a 16A fuse. The 6mm should have ample capacity but you'll need to do something in the kitchen to split the feed and give each a 16A fuse or run in 2 2.5mm job done

Now we have all the facts (50/50 gas leccy hob), i would say put a 6mm in, but at this stage put it on a 20A mcb. this leaves room for a 32A mcb in the future when they want to change to a fully electric induction hob. use the click splitter to connect in two appliances - they're very good.