How do i connect storage battery's to my existing system.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long can you keep the charge in a battery? If you charge your very large battery in summer and you don't use most of it, do you still have any left in winter?
LifeP04 is very different to a car battery, I was only thinking in terms of a day or two anyway. My LifeP04’s were delivered with 67% charge months ago and just looking now it’s showing 66% so if you get enough storage you could charge in the summer and run all winter on batteries.

LifeP04 is very different to a car battery, I was only thinking in terms of a day or two anyway. My LifeP04’s were delivered with 67% charge months ago and just looking now it’s showing 66% so if you get enough storage you could charge in the summer and run all winter on batteries.
This is good news

You may have read a post I wrote saying that originally, I thought of getting about 500kWh for that exact reason. Charge the batteries in summer and use them in Winter. Well. as you can imagine when I started to realise how much this would cost I start to think differently. In addition to this I was always told that these types of batteries are designed to be charged and discharged days after days and not to store energy for month.

As mentioned previously, I am on a learning curve. My new system already costs me a fair bit of money with 13kWh. Let's see how I get on and how my finance director appreciates the investment. Then we can extend :)

This is good news

You may have read a post I wrote saying that originally, I thought of getting about 500kWh for that exact reason. Charge the batteries in summer and use them in Winter. Well. as you can imagine when I started to realise how much this would cost I start to think differently. In addition to this I was always told that these types of batteries are designed to be charged and discharged days after days and not to store energy for month.

As mentioned previously, I am on a learning curve. My new system already costs me a fair bit of money with 13kWh. Let's see how I get on and how my finance director appreciates the investment. Then we can extend :)
I have a background load of around 0.5kW and my initial PV system has 6.5kWp with a 7 kWh battery. In the summer it's fine on the days when the sun shines, we do charge from the grid as well, most half decent days we only use off peak and solar power. On the the sunny days we can also fill the hot water tank, charge my car and run the aircon. The inverter capacity is a bit of a let down SPH6000 can provide 6kW from solar but when on battery only 3 kW. In the wintertime the battery is usually discharged by lunchtime on dull days. I'm hoping with my new DIY 14kWh battery along with a 5kW inverter will provide nice match to my house demands and get us through 20 hours a day in winter and in the summer hopefully zero export.

500 kWh would be a colossal battery on all front - cost, physical size and capacity.

SHP6000 that's a growatt. Since you are refering to y first installation I suspect the battery is also a growatt which have a max charge/discharge of 3.5kW.
I would say the bottleneck is the battery and not the inverter.

SHP6000 that's a growatt. Since you are refering to y first installation I suspect the battery is also a growatt which have a max charge/discharge of 3.5kW.
I would say the bottleneck is the battery and not the inverter.
Well Bob you'd be wrong on both counts

Inverter spec says:-
inv bat max.PNG
So Max power from the battery input 3kW

and the battery spec says

bat max discharge.PNG

Max discharge rate 5kW
It was disappointing for me when I found the inverter limitation and it's one that I'm about to resolve within the next couple of days.

Always happy to be proven wrong . this is how one learns I believe.
My memory is not what he used to be lol.
I had read those specs (and so many others). Growatt was the equipment on one of the quote I considered at the end of summer.

Well, lesson learnt for both of us. Identifying the bottleneck.

Always happy to be proven wrong . this is how one learns I believe.
Absolutely, thats why I've learned so much from my wife (and still do every day) :)
My memory is not what he used to be lol.
do you know what 3 things happen to a man as he gets older?
The first is his memory starts to fail...... I forget the other two

or of course
sex life for men as they age :-

Tri Weekly
Try Weekly
Try Weakly

:):):)

I had read those specs (and so many others). Growatt was the equipment on one of the quote I considered at the end of summer.

Well, lesson learnt for both of us. Identifying the bottleneck.

I too had read the specs and didnt spot it, it's the only reason why we occasionally use peak rate power. Once the Victron is up and running that should be a thing of the past. It will be interesting to see how it all goes in the hours from Octopus, I estimate we will be using over 90 amps on a regular basis.

do you know what 3 things happen to a man as he gets older?
The first is his memory starts to fail...... I forget the other two

or of course
sex life for men as they age :-

Tri Weekly
Try Weekly
Try Weakly

:):):)
:ROFLMAO:

When do you expect to turn the switch on of your new system?

Arhhh. the C measure. I forgot about it. I have not checked it for the Solax Triple Power. :(
C=capacity, in my case, the cells are 280A/h therefore the 0.5C rate would be charge and discharge at 140 amps, I dont have any charger that powerful so theyre currently charging at 4 amps and have been for 24 hrs so far. For the discharge I'll just load the inverter up with a 3kW fan heater outside to burn through the power.

HI guys / gals

Got a 4kw PV system fitted with a Growatt 3.6 mtl-s inverter in the loft, my house faces South.
System is only just over 1yr old.

My question is can i fit storage batteries to my existing system in the loft and connect it to the Inverter for nighttime use instead of importing from the grid, and if so how, What would i need.

Regeneration meter is downstairs where the Main Board is.

would appreciate some feedback please

Thanks guys

EDIT: Forgot to mention it was fitted with an MSC installer who at the time says i don't need batteries, but with prices rocketing for Leccy, i am looking at battery storage to call upon at night.

I don't get anything for exporting as its not feasible, so i try and use as much leccy when it generates.
Hi , Went to the battery and storage show at NEC, as far as I understand you will need a 2nd inverter or a replace the inverter you have with a hybrid inverter to then charge your batteries up before you can use the battery power. there are plenty f battery storage companies about get in touch and am sure they will give you guidance.

Hi , Went to the battery and storage show at NEC, as far as I understand you will need a 2nd inverter or a replace the inverter you have with a hybrid inverter to then charge your batteries up before you can use the battery power. there are plenty f battery storage companies about get in touch and am sure they will give you guidance.
Yes, I know mate, don't want to invalidate the warranty on my system.

I have another thread going about batteries and if i can use them.

Cheers