How many re starts does it need!!!! grrrrrrr

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Toshiba A500 Laptop with a core 2 duo processor etc and its about 18 months old. It runs Windows 7 and for the most part is reliable and a joy to use....

But

why oh why does it constantly need to shut down and re start to install updates. Sometimes it does it without warning (although there is a small flashing box on the bottom bar)

Take last night. I became aware of the box and opened it up and it said 'restarting in 1 min' so I allowed it to. It restarted and installed service pack 1 or something. Great I thought, perhaps it'll run better. May as well get it done.

This morning I open up the laptop and its asking for yet another restart. It only installed the updates last night!

Not a week goes by without a couple of restarts to install new updates - what a pile of carp. While we are at it, how can I permanently delete MS Messenger and MS Groove - 2 programmes that take forever and are part of the start up sequence that takes forever only for me to shut down as soon as I see them. And outlook - I hate that too and every time I click on a link to email someone it goes through the whole outlook launch sequence....

Otherwise its OK

headbang headbang headbang headbang

Rev,

In messenger there should be a box to tick or the like for it not to load on start up.

MS Groove 2 I have never heard of, but you should be able to uninstall through add / remove programs.

As far as outlook goes it must be in your start up folder.

Start menu, all programs, scroll down till you see startup, open this up, right click the link to Outlook and delete, this will only remove the link to Outlook, not the whole program, if you want to do that again through add / remove programs.

ic had to uninstall SP1 for 7 its proper messed my laptop up! seems to me that the service pack is causing a hell load of problems! also i.e 9 updates kept causing mine to restart constantly so i removed that and went back to i.e8

7 is beginning to show alot of bugs like vista and im not liking it! i used to think 7 was going to be better then vista as theyve had chance to iron all the faults out but it seems to me they havent! the rotters!!!!

Cheers I'm running 7 and now I'm waiting for the problems to start. Am defo going to run ubuntu on next laptop but don't know where to start really. I'll have a read through steps link for starters

matty do not install SP1 wait for SP2 to come out and do a combined installation as SP2 incorperates SP1 and should in fact remove any faults SP1 has

the fault isnt inherent with SP1,

its the platform it runs on that causes the problems, :slap

m4tty, give e.buyer a go for no OS machines, dunno if laptops are included though,

and depending on what you ultimately do and use it for most stuff is compatible or an alternative available,

if you have a big enough HDD you can run a dual boot on your present machine to try it first, and have some fun,

the OS will run happily enough in 5G, even with extras downloaded, then say 10G for your home folder will be more than enough to mess about on, and Ubuntu/Linux will be able to read your windows partition so you can still access any music/pix you have on there,

Ive recently been messing about with a nice(read very simple and easy) program for doing schematics for my Solar PV installs. :)

The auto updates dont give you much notice to stop them especially when using a laptop on site, on more than one occasion I have had a fair bit of testing results deleted on easycert due to a restart it has to be one of THE most annoying things when rushing to finish a job!

I have a Toshiba A500 Laptop with a core 2 duo processor etc and its about 18 months old. It runs Windows 7 and for the most part is reliable and a joy to use.... But

why oh why does it constantly need to shut down and re start to install updates. Sometimes it does it without warning (although there is a small flashing box on the bottom bar)

Take last night. I became aware of the box and opened it up and it said 'restarting in 1 min' so I allowed it to. It restarted and installed service pack 1 or something. Great I thought, perhaps it'll run better. May as well get it done.

This morning I open up the laptop and its asking for yet another restart. It only installed the updates last night!

Not a week goes by without a couple of restarts to install new updates - what a pile of carp. While we are at it, how can I permanently delete MS Messenger and MS Groove - 2 programmes that take forever and are part of the start up sequence that takes forever only for me to shut down as soon as I see them. And outlook - I hate that too and every time I click on a link to email someone it goes through the whole outlook launch sequence....

Otherwise its OK

headbang headbang headbang headbang
groove monitor is used by office 2007 for syncing files etc. to disable it, remove is from 'msconfig'

go to start menu type in msconfig press enter accept the pop up to access the user interface, it then comes up with a menu, the 4th one along shows start up, click on this. Look for your messenger and other programs that load on startup and clcik the ones that you want disabled, then close the program.

Latest posts