Network printer issues- HELP!!!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here`s the setup:

Office has a router (192.168.1.1), with LAN connections to PC(192.168.1.3) and 2 network printers (192.168.1.6 and 7). The lappy also connects in wirelessly (192.168.1.2) :)

Everything has been fine for ages - then a power cut seems to have started a problem with access to the HP Laserjet 2420DN (.6 address)

If mrs. asks it to print from the PC, it does, perfectly. The lappy used to, but now doesn`t - sort of!

The laser is the default printer. When I`ve written an invoice out, I put a sheet of pre-headed paper in, and voila! However, at the moment, when I click "print", the laser icon in the printers folder takes the file, shows as a document queued, then goes again, as if it has printed. At the same time, a file called "192.168.1.5,192.168.1.2" is created in the "current invoices" directory.

So yesterday, after much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, I deleted the printer, and re-installed on the lappy. Asked it to print an invoice - out it came. Whoopee - I`ve "mended it". er....NO. Ten mins later, when I ask it to print another invoice, it writes this file again, instead of printing.

WTF is going on???? :pray :pray:pray:pray:pray

note: I can open an explorer window, type in the net. address of the printer, and access the system & control settings for the printer - similarly I can "ping" it happily - <1ms :) confused I am.

Thanks `pach - I needed a laugh.

Kayak kid - pinging (& accessing printer page, logging in to printer settings etc.) from lappy.

Its on Vista (same as the peecee alongside).

Autodownload updates is set, and allus has been.

The ethernet wired from the peecee works; as does all file sharing between units..........

I use DHCP with no issues on our home net (well most of the time!)

Are you around tomorrow Canoe?

If I can get to KME's I'll have a look and if stuck ring your mob?

BTW,

There are progs that won't run on Linux or Mac even with emulation, problem is I have some!!!

Check out the old Indramat comms software.

Also I still need time to sort out my emails & backups!!!!

I tried setting static IPs for the printer (they ARE set on the printer & lappy) ; when I went into the router to set `em; the only addresses it WOULDN`T let me access were 6 and 7 - i`ve already set 2 and 3 for the Pretty Crappy and Lappie though - it seems as though the router is bouncing the file back to the laptop for some reason; which may be why the print command actually saves a file in the open directory?????

IIRC on mine it is something like release time.

I'll check!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:44 ----------

No it's lease time!

Lease Time >

The length of time the DHCP server will reserve the IP address for each computer.

Which router do you use bud, as I am quickly running out of "space" on my Belkin wireless router for locking the MAC addresses down!

I have a cable modem so I have an ethernet o.p from that into our wireless router, this is a 4 way wired router too, I have 2 off 8 way unmanaged switches connected to this and 2 other computers, this then provides the wireless.

I have another 2 off wireless AP which I can slave either wired or wireless which are not connected at the moment.

I want to create a guest network, sharing the main cable modem, but not sure how!

No time to research either!

Mind this is hijacking KME's thread now!

Sorry!

Sorry all, I have had a bad day!

It took me longer to sort out the kit from the last few days and for the job tomorrow, I had to build up a water purification supply manifold with compression copper at the inlet and solvent weld pvc pressure pipework at the outlet, which took a little longer as I did it in my unit and kept getting disturbed!

Especially from around 12:00 when the empty factory next door holding several thousand tonnes of shredded tyres went up in flames!!!

I found myself in the middle of a major incident.

In excess of 30 fire engines, at least 4 ambulance crews, EA, local council, about 10 cop cars & vans, total evacuation of around 15 premises, including 3 large factories, and probably 50 other smaller business units from sole traders to global blue chip!

All I have to hope now is that the fire does not spread to "my" building and take that out as then I will loose so so much!...

My machinery all my stock, all of my course work notes from starting my apprenticeship, C&G, HNC, BSc., MEng, NEBOSH General, right through to my last courses this year!

My drawing board is there, some of my power tools, some other personal stuff, a bit worried is an understatement!

It is only a mile or so from the house, but there is an exclusion zone of a few hundred yards around the premises so I can't even walk up there to see what is happening!

The roads are closed for over 1/2 a mile around the incident.

Quick update, house stinks of tyre smoke & burnt seagull!

Unit was saved, fire is under control but may burn for years!

Only building affected by fire was the actual burning premises.

Was in my lockup early this morning and all was well, little smell even as the wind had not then changed direction.

I only live about a mile away and now the wind is in our direction.

All roads in and out of the whole industrial estate still closed at tea time.

Will try to find out tomorrow what is going on and post up.

Have a banging head and feel like carp not sure if it's the fumes or not.

Early night me thinks!

I think the problem is in the extreme bottom left of the screen, ;)

BTW, I have one of those routers so will be interested to hear the outcome,

most of my stuff is hard wired,

and for some reason the missus work laptop on windoze (XP I think) refuses to connect to it wirelessly, its fine hardwired though.....

my old laptop connects to it on XP and Ubuntu OK, and my old PC running on dual boot connects to it fine on WI-FI but only if I use an Edimax USB dongle (XP), and not the inbuilt card, which is Edimax as well ,

Ubuntu connects to it no matter what I use, inbuilt wi-fi, usb, or hard wired. :C .......

Latest posts