How To Calculate Lights Required

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsoppitt

Reaction score
Hello guys , me again.

I know what your thinking does this guy know anything , well yes but limited , but i want to know more , i want to know it all as my job really interests me , and when i dont know it frustrates me , thats why i get the education from you guys that know .

My local shop ( 3 doors down ) wants a new lighting arrangement , specified 600mm x 600mm led modular fittings .

Shop dimensions are approx 5.5m x 9 m . What i need to know is exactly how to work out how many panels will be needed ?

Each panel has the following technical info , available in 4000k-4500k , 4500k-5000k and 6000-6500k which im guessing is warm white , cool white and daylight.

Each panel produces 3200 lumens at an angle of 110 degrees ( equates to 40w panel ).

The whole shop is to have a new false ceiling fitted , im guessing using 600mm x 600mm panels , but possibly 600mm x 1200mm panels , i know i need to know this before arranging panels Thats why i want to know exactly how to design the lighting for this space so i can adjust according to requirements .

I have created a grid layout and have concluded that 2 rows of 4 panels , spaced 1200mm from outer walls with 1800mm between the 2 panels ( shop width ) and spaced 1200mm from outer wall with 1800mm between  the 3 panels , leaving a space of 600mm between last panel and wall , which is where the till is sited ( shop length ).

any help will be gretly appreciated

regards

wayne soppitt

I always get the lighting rep to design it AND dome up with the emergency lighting calcs and sign the relevant part of the design paperwork

Every lighting job i have seen done by a ceiling fitter has been about 1 fitting per 9 tiles, irrespective of ceiling height, working plane, reflectances, maintenance, usage etc

Cover you rear and get it designed correctly

Just saying.......

The onsite retailer that the lights were to be purchased from dont supply a design service , thats why im trying to calculate for myself.

Dont really want to add the expense of a seperate design cost if it can be avoided by doing calculations myself.

regards

wayne

You haven't said what the shop is being used for, so the lighting levels could come into play so get a rep in like it has been already suggested.

The rep/designer usually comes from the manufacturer, you need to get the supplier to get them to come and see you.... other than that use a local wholesaler, pay a little more and have this additional service FOC (sort of)

I find that while online is cheaper.... it often isn't worth the hassle :eek:

Such as.... I have a 1200 x 600 LED panel in a shop at the moment as a sample for them to try out... I'd like to see an online retailer giving you that kind of service

Warm white normally considered to be 2700K to 3200K - similar to incandescent bulbs.

You don't mention type of shop as different brightness and colour temps will suit different situations.

If you're really keen and handy with a PC then have a look at Dialux or Relux lighting design programs. Both are free. Draw your room, add light fittings, and you can get rendered pictures showing light distribution and intensity in lumens at different distances from fitting (Example attached). If they have the particular light fittings that you are looking at in their manufacturer catalogues then easy peasy. If not, then some educated guesses required to find a suitable one to use in the program.

Room 1 - Full Room.jpg

Warm white normally considered to be 2700K to 3200K - similar to incandescent bulbs.

You don't mention type of shop as different brightness and colour temps will suit different situations.

If you're really keen and handy with a PC then have a look at Dialux or Relux lighting design programs. Both are free. Draw your room, add light fittings, and you can get rendered pictures showing light distribution and intensity in lumens at different distances from fitting (Example attached). If they have the particular light fittings that you are looking at in their manufacturer catalogues then easy peasy. If not, then some educated guesses required to find a suitable one to use in the program.
gem , you got a direct web link for this  , this will be great to get a feel for what i want to do , thanks

can i take this opportunity to thank all of you for your responses and helpful advice that is making me better at my job day by day .

Special thanks to the regular players that have helped me on many of my posts , you know who you are : Noz , side , dave ,slip , etc .

Please continue to share your knowledge to make me and others better at what we do .

regards to you all

wayne

Hi Wayne,

For Dialux or Relux just google either word and it will come up with the direct links. Haven't used Relux myself. Dialux Evo is probably the one you would use if going with Dial.

Good luck :)