How to wire up underfloor heating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicks electrix

Reaction score
Evening Forum

I have been asked to fit underfloor heating. I have never done this. Does anyone know where i could get some help from on how to do this. Especially the wiring side for the thermostat and spur. This is to go in a bathroom.

Many thanks

you will need to know its power requirement to install supply. (but installing a 13A fused spur should cover just about any)

wiring between stat and floor is part of the kit, so that must be installed before plastering, or conduit put in place

Many small kits for you average bathroom are less than 13amp & can run off a FCU! but as Andy said you need to check spec of what is being installed.

:)

Do i then take it that, from the spur it gets wired into the stat? So if i was to run a 2.5 T&E from the spur to to stat would that be ok?

Thanks

Not sure why you need to do a first fix because switch will be outside bathroom. Generally you will need kit to get that in before its tiled if its going to be tiled.

warmup web site have some good info

but its prity much fcu to state then floor probe and heating system flex from state to floor, conduit from stat to floor is a good idea and a blanked off 1g box at low level between is good for replacing floor prob in future or if you have mutiple kits.

a blanked off 1g box at low level between is good for replacing floor prob in future or if you have mutiple kits.
I used to try and do that where possible when access from the stat to low level was tricky.

I fit quite a few UFH kits in bathrooms and they are always on site before I turn up, can;t really do much without them for definite. Some say you can extend cables so it's easy enough to wire the stat and spur etc and leave tails ready for connection low down, others say you can;t so you need the kit there to wire it all in within the prefitted lengths of cable.

make sure you use a deep single box (fastafix or other) for the stat.

make sure you use a deep single box (fastafix or other) for the stat.
another one were u need to know what the kit is, i have only fitted warm up, which says 35mm box for stat, the stat instructions say 25mm min.

No point at all in fitting anything less than 47mm box.
i managed allright with 25mm, what make have you been fitting that needs so much room?

i managed allright with 25mm, what make have you been fitting that needs so much room?
I always fit a 47mm box for the stat some you could probably use a smaller box but better that than not having enough room.

Latest posts