Ideas for external waterproof cabinet for PV ground mounted system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My DIY ground mounted system is nearing completion but I am struggling with one last bit. The panels are split across 2 systems one set of panels have micro inverters and will cabled via SWA into the CU, the other part will be DC connected to a separate inverter in the house using 6mm Solar cable.

My plan is to install a waterproof cabinet near the panels where the ducting carrying the solar cable and the SWA are located. Although I have isolators on all cables at the house end I will also install isolators in the cabinet to enable the cables to be de-energised for any upgrades or maintenance.

The problem I have is I am not sure what to use for the cabinet or how to mount it, I was planning to bolt it to a post set in concrete but the cabinets I have seen all seem to be designed for wall mounting or for sitting on a concrete pad.

Has anyone done anything similar or have any ideas for a cheapish solution?

TIA

Wheelybin storage box sitting on a few paving slabs, with a hole in the base for a pillar.

I built a ground mount, then decided to close in the bottom of the structure and make it into a shed.

Attachments

• solarshed_2.jpg
    solarshed_2.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 0
I did a search, they look great but overkill for my requirements plus they are not a cheapish solution.
Low cost units are available; you just need to go to the right supplier.
I don't see how they are overkill, your application is what they are designed for, and that makes them compliant.

Low cost units are available; you just need to go to the right supplier.
I don't see how they are overkill, your application is what they are designed for, and that makes them compliant.
they only thing I would say about pillars is they tend to open at the bottom and prone to ingress of snails. Mind you, half the grp cabinets I've encountered aren't sealed up properly and are full of snails and spiders too. Found a bird nest in one, gave me quite a shock when I opened the door and a Blue Tit flew out :ROFLMAO:

Neither is a loft that most units are enclosed in.
neither is an entire house for that matter :ROFLMAO: With lofts there are designated ways of installing gear properly.

Wheelie bin just wouldn't work, unless you have arms long enough to get down inside and fit gear, plus I seriously doubt the plastic is fire retardent, so any small fire would trash the entire electrical contents of the bin, and some prat is bound to throw a poo bag in .... :sick:

I said a Wheelie bin storage box, they have a gas strut lid and double doors at the front, I think a fire in a loft is far more serious.

Latest posts