Induction hob stopped working during usage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil.tee

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm hoping I can get some answers here which don't involve the words "difficult" or "expensive"!

I was using my Hotpoint induction hob (just over 2 years old), lifted a pan up and put it down again. It wasn't a hard impact but the hob turned off and wouldn't turn on. The switch at the CU had tripped so I turned it back on but the hob itself still won't turn on. I tried leaving it for 30 minutes but to no avail.

The light on the cooker switch (this one) is on and the socket works. Could it be the fuse on the switch, or would the light turn off if that was the case? If it's not this fuse, what else might it be?

I'm hoping it's a cheap/easy fix (ideally something I can do myself, I enjoy diy but a little inexperienced with electrics) as I've got 3 young kids and I'm not sure what I'll do without a hob!

Thanks in advance.

Could it be the fuse on the switch,

There is no fuse in one of those switches...

My gut feeling is that your options could very well be somewhere between.. "Difficult" and/or "Expensive"??

Sorry...
😦 :oops:

Welcome to the forumbulator....

Maybe...
another esteemed member may be able to offer something a bit more hopeful??

🍺:cool:🍺🍺🍺🍺

The light on the cooker switch (this one) is on and the socket works. Could it be the fuse on the switch, or would the light turn off if that was the case? If it's not this fuse, what else might it be?
The light on the switch indicate that power is getting to the switch, so you can eliminate the Consumer Unit to switch cable (MCB or RCD)

You need an electrician or a/the Hob manufacturer technician to test the hob itself, can't see it being the cable from the switch to the Hob as this has not been overloaded, or has it?

Neil.tee something on your hob has obviously failed, electricians do not work on white goods (Need a cooker connection unit installing or moving? No problem) You need the help of a white goods engineer (Most white goods companies have their own team) You can contact Hotpoint if you Click me or you may want to ask at the UK white goods forum Click me