Induction Hob trips TV signal

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an odd one, several months ago I was involved in installing a new kitchen, new board all RCBOs. Now all was fine until TV was moved from far corner of the living roon to the chimney brest wall. Since then every time the customer switches on the induction hob, the TV screen temporaily turns black for a second, before coming back on again. I've double checked the ccts, and checked the board terminations etc etc nad can't find anything wrong. I am assuming it is an EMF pulse from the hob that is interfering with the TV ? Hob/ cooker is brand new, but cheapish make. Has anyone else encountered this, and is there a possible cure?

Does sound like an electromagnetic interference problem and suggests that the cooker probably doesn't comply with the standards its supposed to for its CE mark. However there isn't much you can do about that.

I would firstly be looking at the tv aerial system for a fix, and especially at the changes made to move it. Is the TV now very close to the cooker? Has the aerial cable been run close alongside a mains cable, especially the one to the cooker?  Is there an aerial distribution amplifier involved, and if so where does it's power cable run? You can get filters to put on the TV input.

If you want to try to kill the interference at source you can try putting ferrite rings on the conductors as close as possible to the cooker, but I wouldn't bet a lot on that being effective.

TV is closer than it was,  roughly 4m from cooker, about 2m closer than before. Didn't really look at the aerial connections etc, I was more interested in making sure it wasn't my handiwork ie the electrics.  

I've got some ferrite rings around the place, got to be worth a try, easy answer would be to put TV back in the corner. 

Latest posts