Inline Fan Wired Off Lighting Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angusbrooks

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am first going to apologise for my weak knowledge and experience into the trade but I have only recently qualified and started doing installs.

Can you wire an inline fan to fit into a duct from the lighting ring circuit. The fan will have a plug to fit into a LCM (lighting control module) which is rated at 16 amp with 5 lights rated at 0.5 amp (approx) (fan amperage is rated at 0.45 amp running with 0.67 start up)

Thanks for the help in advance - asking is learning!

This is obviously not domestic. What's this LCM and what is it controlling?

And do your really mean "lighting RING circuit"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what a LCM is to be honest , is it a dimming panel ?

All you really need to do is pick up a L , Sw/L and N and shove it in the fan . Is this commercial , domestic ?

Oh welcome to the Forum.

If I'm right and the LCM is a multi point klick outlet then it can be plugged into this aslong as you have the emergency type so you can wire a perm live on the auxiliary

when i say ring i mean as in several fittings "daisy chained" not sure of the correct terminalogy, the LCM controls several light fittings throughout a space - as in a single feed from a DB to a control module where 9 lights can be plugged into the unit - I have been told that you "can" wire other equipment through plug connectors and use the LCM for power source

I am unsure of this and would like a positive to confirm that yes you can wire through plug connector into an LCM

It is fitted in a commercial office space!

Thanks

Yes you can plug the fan in.

If it's just a plain fan, then an ordinary plug will do. If it has a run on timer, you will need the emergency light plug that gives you the permanent live as well.

Hi Parky,

Yes its a multi click point as in several fittings can be connected into the module - i have been told that you can take a L N E feed from the plug connector (in the LCM) and feed to a fan speed controller with switch then direct to the fan but note that the switch is NOT fused therefore should the motor within the fan seize and withdraw a large amount of current the lighting circuit would blow?

AHHH it would be easier to take from a DB with a 6 amp motor rated breaker?

Hi Prodave,

Will the fan need to be fused through a s/f/s or fused spur? to prevent any high current taking out the LCM? thanks for your time!!

Hi Prodave,

Will the fan need to be fused through a s/f/s or fused spur? to prevent any high current taking out the LCM? thanks for your time!!
That fan, or it's controller are not going to "take out" the LCMBut read the manufacturers instructions. They probably stipulate what size fuse should be used so simply route the feed via an FCU with whatever rating fuse the manufacturer specifies.

Best thing you can do is one of the following,

Get an apprenticeship so that you know at.least the very, VERY, basics

Get a spark to do it for you

: headbang

Latest posts