Insulating batteries in winter?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy D

Reaction score
Does anyone see any benefit in building some kind of insulating box around my batteries? I have a 10KW Huawei system in the garage, and obviously see the down turn in efficiency of the batteries in the colder months, and would like to improve them. It wouldn't be anything too fancy, probably ply and some insulation left over from my van build, and obviously allow for air flow.

I've created a box around my batteries with some Kingspan, did notice that when we had some really cold nights they weren't quite as efficient so can only help I suppose.

I can't find any info for my particular batteries about this subject, nor in fact anything on the internet about it, but it seems common sense. What I do know though, in the coldest months of winter ( and we haven't had a really cold one for awhile ) charging at 2KW/ hour, for 4 hours, I should be getting up to 80% charge but I rarely see the batteries get above 65%. I think I'll get the jigsaw out and start on this project.

Latest posts