New Battery Installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have previously posted questions about my battery instal and received good advice, thanks for that. I though I would post a more detailed run through of my installation that may be of interest.

I had been thinking about battery storage for a while and eventually, after much research and head scratching, decided to plunge completley into the DIY route! Initially my thinking was an AC inverter and expandable battery racks so I could start small and add units as and when. Pylontech looked a good option. However then found that Seplos cabinet kits were available that you assembled and put in the EVE cells. I managed to obtain a lightly used Victron Multiplus 2 5000KVA inverter and found someone local to me who imports the kits and cells direct from China.

Before going too far down the road I started my G99 application for a total possible export capacity of 8kW. I already had a Solaredge 3.6kW PV system installed a year ago and wanted that to remain as is. Filled application forms and sent diagram, map showing connection point to the grid and had quite a few back and forth emails as my diagrams did not show G99 protection for inverter, even though this is done in the inverter and was labelled accordingly. This was all done from a campsite in France on holiday. Eventually had to call them to clarify exactly what they wanted and they required the diagram to also show the G98 protection for the already installed PV inverter. Eventually the information was acceptable and the decision would take a few months

In the meantime I picked up my kit / cells from and began the journey. The Seplos cabinet was well packaged and a lot of it had been already assembled. I had read that the components were loose in plastic bags inside the cabinet but they now have all the items in cardboard boxes.

IMG_0468.jpeg

The Inverter control unit and display from Victron was around £500 but the Venus OS can be installed on a Raspberry Pi and performs the same functions for around £200. This was duly built.

IMG_0483.jpeg

The detached concrete garage walls and roof had had 50mm insulation and overboard with plywood a few years ago. A space was cleared and fireproof cement board installed and the Inverter was stuck up on the wall.
Began the wiring and replaced the 4 way consumer unit with a 6 way and ran an additional CAT 6 cable from the meter cupboard under the stairs for the CT clamp. This entailed an additional metal conduit to be installed between the house and garage.
IMG_0488.jpeg

While the wiring was being done I stuck the cells in parallel and top balanced them using a Riden power supply. This took ages, but gave me plenty of time to do the wiring at my own pace.
IMG_0549.jpeg

BMS was pretty much pre assembled just had to be connected up. As someone else had mentioned about the Seplos kit, the plastic cover for the fuse holder had to be cut to accommodate the connectors.
IMG_0597.jpegIMG_0602.JPG

Due to the weight of the cabinet and cells I assembled the kit in situ so as not to have to move the battery too far. Even though it is on castors it is still a heavy beast.
I have fitted two heat pads (for aquariums) to the wall behind the battery controlled by an STC1000 . (Thanks to johnb2713 for this idea and other advice). I have this set to heat when temperature falls below 10° but think that the heat from the inverter will keep this corner of the garage around that temperature. The winter will tell.
IMG_0674.jpeg

Got an offer of acceptance from SP for the full 8kW export capacity and got a local electrician in to double check the AC wiring and connect to the consumer unit. I had bought a second hand Multifunction Tester on eBay and had done Insulation resistance, continuity and Zs tests anyway. But good to have a second pair of eyes look over it.

Big switch on came and there were no loud bangs and apart from an incorrect setting for the CT clamp it all seemed to work.

IMG_0711.jpegIMG_0709.jpegIMG_0710.jpeg

It has been running now for about three weeks and thankfully it appears to be working well. Due to reducing solar I schedule charging during the Octopus Intelligent 23:30 - 05:30 slot. There have been a few days where solar has charged it up and I haven't needed to do this.

Will have to play about with settings to get it working efficiently. On the advice of the chap who supplied the kit and batteries, who has built a fair few of these, I have not used the CanBus data connection from battery to inverter. Instead it uses the Victrons' voltage sense. It is set to show 100% charge when it reaches 55.2v absorption voltage. I have to research this further but it seems to be working ok and the displayed Victron SOC tracks the BMS SOC. I may at some stage connect up the CamBus but not sure what advantage this may give apart from seeing the battery data from within the Venus OS. Adding a shunt may also be an option for more accurate data. However, as I said it appears to be happy without this at the moment.

I have the battery SOC displayed on my Home Assistant dashboard and the next stage is to integrate it more fully with HA.

Commissioning documents have been sent to SP, still waiting for a reply but fingers crossed they are happy.

Cost of the 15kW kit was £2400, Inverter £1200 and all the other bits and pieces brought the total cost to £5000. This included about £500 - £700 for the MFT, power supply, battery resistance meter etc some of which will be used for other things. In fact the MFT helped me find that the garage ring circuit live conductor was broken.

I have a background in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (mainly the electronic side) and it has been a huge learning experience and now that it's pretty much done (apart from tinkering) I can concentrate on our kitchen renovation! I would say that anyone thinking about going down the DIY route should give it a go, however, be prepared for it to take a while, and there is a lot of work and research required. But its pretty satisfying and keeps the old brain working!

Looking good, you did well there, it will be working well today as I am just down the road from you in Stranraer and plenty sunshine here today.

Congrats to you! Well done! Must be very satisfying to see that effort come to fruition.

I'm intrigued how the addition of DIY battery to your existing system works regarding MCS and elec company export payments...

Nice job 👍👍👍. Good to see more people going down the diy route.. Bit late now, but if you compress the cells for the first few charge cycles, this supposedly (according to the manufacturers) squeezes out bubbles of gas that form within the electrolyte (if i remember correctly). These bubbles of gas cause faster cell degredation if left in. They say you get an extra 1000 charge cycles if done (although, general ageing of the cells may negate this anyway), maybe something to consider if you double up that storage! - and with 8kw panels, im guessing you may want to now youve got the diy solar bug!
Good luck with home assistant - many headaches to come lol.

Congrats to you! Well done! Must be very satisfying to see that effort come to fruition.

I'm intrigued how the addition of DIY battery to your existing system works regarding MCS and elec company export payments...
As far as I am aware, there should be no effect on my current SEG. Existing PV system, installed by a MCS contractor has not been altered. SP Networks have approved an export up to 8kW (not likely to get even close to that). At the moment I have set the Victron for no export therefore the max I can export would be the 3.6kW from the PV.

Nice job 👍👍👍. Good to see more people going down the diy route.. Bit late now, but if you compress the cells for the first few charge cycles, this supposedly (according to the manufacturers) squeezes out bubbles of gas that form within the electrolyte (if i remember correctly). These bubbles of gas cause faster cell degredation if left in. They say you get an extra 1000 charge cycles if done (although, general ageing of the cells may negate this anyway), maybe something to consider if you double up that storage! - and with 8kw panels, im guessing you may want to now youve got the diy solar bug!
Good luck with home assistant - many headaches to come lol.
Although not shown in the pictures I split the cells into two packs of 8 when top balancing and clamped the cells together and when installed in the Seplos case there is thin foam between the cells then a metal plate compresses the cells in the cabinet. So I would guess there was only one cycle where the cells were not compressed.

Although not shown in the pictures I split the cells into two packs of 8 when top balancing and clamped the cells together and when installed in the Seplos case there is thin foam between the cells then a metal plate compresses the cells in the cabinet. So I would guess there was only one cycle where the cells were not compressed.
Noice 👍

Interesting read and a route I’m looking at going down. Just starting my research and need to decide on the right inverter. It’ll be battery only initially but I’m going to make sure the inverter can have solar added later on if I decide to add it.

As far as I am aware, there should be no effect on my current SEG. Existing PV system, installed by a MCS contractor has not been altered. SP Networks have approved an export up to 8kW (not likely to get even close to that). At the moment I have set the Victron for no export therefore the max I can export would be the 3.6kW from the PV.

Thanks wgoldie, that makes sense
enjoy!