Internal Insulation Damaged, Dimplex Xls6N

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshannon

Reaction score
About a week ago we called someone out to fix our heater that wasn't working at all, it's a Dimplex XLS6N. He said it was the thermostat switch and told us what part to buy, he then shorted the switch so we could use the heater in the meantime.

Yesterday I needed to move the heater to fit carpet. When I opened the inner front panel, parts of the ceramic insulation fell out, it looked like the mesh holding it in had burnt through.

Would it still be safe to use? Would the electrician be liable for replacing it?

Puictures please?

I've fitted and serviced many of the Dimplex XL series. the 6N is the smallest one with just one heating element and one set of 4 bricks.

Exery one I have seen has solid slabs of insulation around the bricks inside a metal box. You unscrew the front plate, remove a solid slab of insulation and that gives access to the stack of bricks. I'm struggling to picture where or what this mesh that's holding the insulation in could be.

Also, I thought the 6N was the one intended for bathrooms, so it doesn't have a thermostat, at least not one that's user adjustable.

the insulation does fall apart like that over time. just about every heater i open falls apart in a similar way

not really anything your sparky can be blamed for

Last edited by a moderator:
also, why did you need to remove the covers?

the largers ones you would need to take some bricks out to move it, but that size you should have been able to move it with all covers still on

I wasn't sure how heavy it was going to be, I didn't want to start unscrewing the bracket and then break something.

Thanks for your help all!