Is it normal for a pv installation to send some power to grid despite battery not being fully charged?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diarama

Reaction score
Hi, we had solar pv panels installed with battery storage. Since the installation the batteries have been charging to about 20% throughout the day and dropping to about 10 once the sun sets to charge the house. They have never yet hit more than 20%. During the day when the sun is strong we see that 10-15% of the solar power is released to the grid instead of charging the battery. Sometimes we also see that even when pv are producing more power than the house consumes, the battery taps power from the grid to charge. We have already disabled the grid charging in the growatt app setting, but it's still happening. Is that normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230315_115025_ShinePhone~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315_115025_ShinePhone~2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230315_142519_ShinePhone~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315_142519_ShinePhone~2.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230315_115346_ShinePhone~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315_115346_ShinePhone~2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230315_143003_ShinePhone~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315_143003_ShinePhone~2.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi, we had solar pv panels installed with battery storage. Since the installation the batteries have been charging to about 20% throughout the day and dropping to about 10 once the sun sets to charge the house. They have never yet hit more than 20%. During the day when the sun is strong we see that 10-15% of the solar power is released to the grid instead of charging the battery. Sometimes we also see that even when pv are producing more power than the house consumes, the battery taps power from the grid to charge. We have already disabled the grid charging in the growatt app setting, but it's still happening. Is that normal?
What do you have export set to?

This is difficult to judge as the solar power in these cases is incredibly low. Much easier if you are generating say 3 or 4 kw. This leads me to wonder whether your install is incredibly recent, perhaps? In the images posted, as far as I can tell, the battery would not be gaining enough power to significantly recharge from solar and would indeed need grid help. You can't sweat the 0.1 thing. BTW, that is just margin for error.

The install was done mid Jan, but there was a problem with the wiring which meant the battery was not charging at all from pv. This only got sorted out last week, so we are monitoring the situation and trying to understand if there are more problems to worry about. I know it's still winter but is this low charge (about 1kw) normal for 12 panels?

I have 10 panels on a south facing roof
The install was done mid Jan, but there was a problem with the wiring which meant the battery was not charging at all from pv. This only got sorted out last week, so we are monitoring the situation and trying to understand if there are more problems to worry about. I know it's still winter but is this low charge (about 1kw) normal for 12 panels?
(+6 west facing), the 10 south facing are currently generating 2.8kW at 09:30 this morning.

We have 4 straight south and 4 southwest facing, plus 4 northeast-ish. This is us as off 9:37Screenshot_20230319_093756_ShinePhone.jpg today

I would with the battery that low, turn everything off in the hosue and see whether the battery charges at a better rate as a result.

Thanks everyone for the feedback here. It seems that it's normL that there is a bitnof residual grid charge and release. What does seem off is how little energy our pv installation produces. As of right now our 12 panels have generated 2.6kw in the entire day, while John seems to have gotten that same energy by 9:30 this morning already. I think its worth getting an independent installer come in and take a look at the whole setup.

Thanks everyone for the feedback here. It seems that it's normL that there is a bitnof residual grid charge and release. What does seem off is how little energy our pv installation produces. As of right now our 12 panels have generated 2.6kw in the entire day, while John seems to have gotten that same energy by 9:30 this morning already. I think its worth getting an independent installer come in and take a look at the whole setup.
Have a look at the info logged in the inverter, it may give you an idea whats going on.
growatt mon 1.PNG

So far today, my system has generated 19.1 kWh

Screenshot_20230319_161808_ShinePhone.jpg
We have two pv cables coming from the roof, one from the back and one front the front. If I interpret this page correctly it seems that maybe one of the sides is generating 0. I've asked this of the company who installed the panels, but they just said they see nothing unusual. We've been messaging back and forth for two months now. They sent an engineer once and he did find a fault with the batteries wiring. I do think there are more problems but they are refusing to take a proper look again.

4 panels facing south, 4 southeast , 4 northwestish. We haven't even reached 1kwh output at any point today.

Do you have the 3 different orientations on 1 string?

Yes, looks like it according to the schematic
We don't have the full details and it could be your panels are daisy chaining. With winter sun your only dragging from a small % through the day. If this is the case your winter production is going to be very poor. Depending on your tariff you may be better joining a supplier like octopus go and taking advantage of the low over night tariff to charge the batterys during winter. My 10kwh battery's charge from 1230am to around 3am and are fully charged. These then last approx 12-14 hours (my base line 0.5kwh ish) of the panels don't add additional charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts