Isn't it a shame...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, as it looks like I am going to be revisiting my CEng application shortly, I have been working through my CPD, and the UK-SPEC document to start mapping my competencies.

It's a shame that we can't all encourage people to follow the code of ethics issued jointly by the RAE & the EngC.

https://www.engc.org.uk/media/2334/ethical-statement-2017.pdf

If the scams required members to sign up to this, then there could be a lot more control over the cowboys.

Statement of Ethical Principles

1.  Honesty and integrity

2.  Respect for life, law, the environment and public good

3.  Accuracy and rigour

4.  Leadership and communication

The underlying bits of this are explained in the link.

since when have any of the scams schemes etc been about that. they only care about the money. they dont care about anything else. you can do the complete opposite of each of those points and they would still welcome the cheque / BACS payment every year without question

You are talking of renewing a professional qualification held in high regard.

The scams, phart phee etc are anything but "professional qualifications"

Dave, I’m not renewing, I am looking at moving up as it were.

The CoC, also is worded such that the EngC would like anyone involved in Engineering at all levels to abide by it for the public good.

The scams are as we have said before, self serving money generators, looking only after themselves, look at the hassle over complaints when something goes wrong, basically they don't want to know, unless it's the householder that complains, and all too often they don't know what is right and what is wrong!

There was an article recently where a guy was prosecuted for using the NI logo on his van, when he wasn't a member, he got done thousands. now I'm not saying it's right to pretend to belong to something you don't, however there was no mention of whether his work was compliant or not, only that he was driving a van with a "club badge" on and he wasn't a member of that club!

I was at Elex, Coventry, on Friday and was having a chat with a well known person from our industry (I won't name him) and he was in total agreement with me, that, while a national register of competent electricians is needed, it should not be run by the scams, or anyone involved with them.

I remember a member on another forum, he'd gone to do some work at a property that had been wired by a scam member, and it was a disaster big time, he'd contacted the scam and they were not interested, they'd only act on a complaint from the tenant.

The tenant had paid for the work and believed everything was as it should have been, he'd no idea about missing earths, bare cables left live, or any of the many issues that the other spark had found. As far as he was concerned, the sockets and switches were level, everything worked when you switched it on, and he had paperwork, from a member of a "professional" organisation!

I asked the other spark for a copy of the paperwork, and his findings, and they were passed to me by another spark, it was only after I took the scheme to task at one of the Elex events that action was taken.there attitude is that one electrician reporting another may be the result of "sour grapes", so they don't like doing it!

However if a member of public was competent to know if an installation was compliant, then they'd not need to get a spark in to do the job, they'd do it themselves wouldn't they?

Be honest, how many sparks on here, would employ another spark to rewire their house, you wouldn't, unless there was a reason, such as illness, that prevented you from doing it yourself.

These scams need to be more open and take on board reports from other electricians, after all aren't we supposed to be the experts?

Sadly it does seem to be all about the money, hand over your cash and your in the club, and it's wrong, I could go on forever, but I won't, you only have to look at the CU situation, you have to fit non combustible units (metal) to prevent the spread of fire, yet as we all know more often than not it's poor installation rather than poor equipment that causes these fires, yet the scams are not supporting proper training are they!

Now had you been there on Thursday  you 'd have met a great army of Forumites  :innocent
I was going to go...it's about time I met up with you shower of 💩s.  But I had a more urgent appointment TO trap my fingers in a door!

as I am on "certain people's RADAR' , and to some folk I can appear confrontational........Despite my "fluffy kitten persona"  absence will just have to make the heart grow fonder for the time being :innocent

Now had you been there on Thursday  you 'd have met a great army of Forumites  :innocent
I was going to go...it's about time I met up with you shower of 💩s.  But I had a more urgent appointment TO trap my fingers in a door!

as I am on "certain people's RADAR' , and to some folk I can appear confrontational........Despite my "fluffy kitten persona"  absence will just have to make the heart grow fonder for the time being :innocent    

Well remember to have some cellphone numbers with you  Kerch .   

A while  back  I stood at one of the exhibits with a load of other visitors  for a while  then moved on to get a cuppa .      Decided to try Sidey's number  to see if he had  decided to come , he had ,  we met at the coffee shop thing , then walked back to the same exhibit where he and another half a dozen  Forumites  were the guys I was standing amongst earlier. :C    

A bit like when I was lost in London , looking for the Edgeware Road  I think,  (takes you to the M1)   .   I pulled over , there were loads  of people streaming past ,  I stopped a guy and asked the way .   "   Oi aye gorra clue mite , I just gorr'ere  , I cum from Bermingum "  :C

I remember meeting Tony for the first time, we'd "spoken" so to speak, on forums for a good while and I went to Nottingham to meet him in person, we got talking and he said he'd thought I may have been quite growly, but I wasn't.

I do growl and snarl occasionally but I'm not as bad as some people think, lol. the trouble with trying to ring people is sometimes you've no signal, maybe we should all arrange to meet up at one of these events wearing Hi Viz vests or something similar, we could but those from the likes of poundland and put TEF on them with a marker pen.

proper old fashioned ethics in a registration body. Whilst not a fan of religion, the ethics taught by churchs seems a little lacking in today's society
Ethics. morals, decent behaviour, there's a lot lacking today isn't there!

walk round there wearing a high vis and people will think your either some H&S person or a twat (or both)

but you should have got there thrusday afternoon / evening...

walk round there wearing a high vis and people will think your either some H&S person or a twat (or both)

but you should have got there thrusday afternoon / evening...
why what happened on Thursday?

Incidentally if it made you feel any better, we could all wear sashes and pink cowboy hats, all look like a stag do for one of the village people. lol

why what happened on Thursday?

Incidentally if it made you feel any better, we could all wear sashes and pink cowboy hats, all look like a stag do for one of the village people. lol
We had a curry meet up & beer on the Thursday night.

I was also there on Friday, and I was mingling with some very well known figures in the industry...

I just didn't put Steve Devine on the spot Friday like I did Thursday, he didn't meet my gaze for the rest of Thursday, nor all of Friday!

Jeff just looked wasted, so I didn't have the heart to go for him on Friday!

Problem is the scams would have to behave in a ethical manner before they could enforce this upon their members and as we know they consistently put commercial interest ahead of public safety.

Latest posts