Isolated earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudassar08

Reaction score
Hi guys.
New member here i come from Diynot.
Seen a customers kitchen ceiling rose which has 95volts on the earth wire. Its induced voltage from a unconnected cpc. Now the thing is that all the light switches have no earth connection in them except from the kitchens one. Im thinking the earth at the kitchens light is alone without being connected to the earth bar. Now which silly sparky would do that that raises the question. Its a tt but nothing is tripping ofc. Even though its reached the threshold of the elcb trip level Dont know if i should give it a earth or make it plastic.

best you do dead tests to confirm continuity of the CPC back to the CU
Yeah when i approach there, im presuming the guy who worked on this just left the cps at the switch and pendant as all the rest of the lighting had no cpc's what a lazy @ss

which is true?

if its got MCBS then the installation is not as old as the house and should have ELCB at least, they have been around as long as MCBs(about the mid 1960's)
Totally however when i approached there yesterday i could not find any elcb nor rcd. Its got no glands on the cu. Wondering who even wired this? Imagine cutting grass outside and a fault occurs then your a gonna!

If it's a really old installation and it's got steel conduit might it be that the conduit was originally used as the earth system (CPC)?
Ring thats covering the whole property has cpc. Just the lighting is lacking it.

But this was in another property not this one.
This has got to be a windup!!
first there is an ELCB, then there's not, he don't know if it's been rewired since 1930 or not , PVC or VIR , Singles or T&E, 1.5 T&E tails, don't think so, per 1960 would have been switch fuse box and conduit CPC, not a consumer unit, 1930 would have been glass fronted fuse box with both poles fused,

Latest posts