It had to happen!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Octopus resell lecky sourced from the national grid .......... so the origin is impossible to determine.
Now youre just being daft, you know full well that the electrons have an address to go to and the smart meter measures them in to be sure. Of course we know where it came from.
The electricity isnt sourced from the national grid anyway, thats the transport system, it's sourced from Solar, Wind and Hydro generators.

Octopus resell lecky sourced from the national grid .......... so the origin is impossible to determine.
Classic gas lighting argument from the climate change deniers. Octopus buy from green sources of energy, granted it's all transmitted down the same power lines as non green energy, but that doesn't change the fact of where they source the energy from to resell. Plus I think octopus own quite a bit of their energy generation.

Can you do the journey whilst the car is refuelled while you sleep / eat / see a show / shopping etc? Modern EV's recharge very quickly, 18 minutes to recharge 80% of range.
And how many EV's can fast recharge but then again too much fast charging is not recommended
and of course this is a daily event? You really are a bottles half empty kind of person. I'm sure you dont sit in the house nor do I believe you're constantly on the move either. Most places that are visitor attractions / towns / shopping centres will have charging facilities (Meadowhall at Sheffield for example has just short of 100) plug in and top up whilst your pursue your leisure activities.
100 charge points when Meadowhall's website suggests over 50 but with 12,000 parking spaces available your chance of getting on an EV chargepoint could be limited
A B C - Always Be Charging, the EV is then fuelled and good to go at a moments notice. Need to refuel on the way, 18 minutes after 3 hours of driving, you should take a break anyway
And how many EV's do you have on your drive, when you and many others are queuing up to recharge on the move how long does it then take to get your 18 minutes of battery destroying charge
All of that possible with an EV with no need to stop at a petrol station.
Why would an EV need to stop at a petrol station
And your point being? I can sleep overnight to find my car fully charged sat waiting to go. My solar refuels it free of charge and I'm not causing pollution killing the children of tomorrow.
What solar panels are you using that work overnight
You dont like the idea of EV and thats fine but frankly the crap youre coming out with to support your view is ridiculous. I've done urgent journeys at the drop of a hat in my i3 and the range isnt great at 140 miles but it wasnt impossible and 99.99% of the time it fit's perfectly. To site the exceptional situations to justify running a diesel is a very weak angle.
And your pro EV arguments are just as ridiculous and flawed
Well if he's running exclusively off solar, he's certainly not causing pollution beyond the CO2 emissions to produce the car, solar panels, & associated kit. Oh, and a little rubber tyre particle pollution.
I was talking to someone recently who was telling me his EV needs a set of tyres every 6,000 miles that is not a little tyre pollution
Doubt away, predominantly green energy from solar or Octopus, i3 made in a green factory and is recyclable. If not causing pollution is incorrect, creating substantially less pollution.
And how many times were the battery components moved around the world as with most greens they miss out the wider manufacturing points
From the Octopus website:-
"At Octopus we use renewable energy sources primarily from wind, solar and hydro (water) sources to power our 100% green electricity. As the majority of UK homes still use gas, we also provide our Supergreen tariff where customers can offset the carbon emissions produced by the gas part of their energy usage."
It seems pretty green to me?
There was an interesting report a little while back where most of the tree planting to offset carbon emissions died within 2 - 5 years
Classic gas lighting argument from the climate change deniers. Octopus buy from green sources of energy, granted it's all transmitted down the same power lines as non green energy, but that doesn't change the fact of where they source the energy from to resell. Plus I think octopus own quite a bit of their energy generation.
Why is it the green movement always drag up this old chesnut to add some creedence to their argument while they deny any of the change to the climate could also be part of a natural occurance.
Climate science is very much like the King's new clothes and those that didn't see them were ridiculed. The trouble is the carbon lobby seems to have the high ground and it seems plenty of research money is thrown at it while ignoring any possible lunar or cyclic weather events of the present and the last 11,700 years since the end of the last ice age
I agree the climate is changing and it has done long before man as we know ever graced the planet so climate change is nothing new but now it is vehicle that can generate tax revenue and the bigger the problem the scientists make it the more tax can be levied

Now youre just being daft, you know full well that the electrons have an address to go to and the smart meter measures them in to be sure. Of course we know where it came from.
The electricity isnt sourced from the national grid anyway, thats the transport system, it's sourced from Solar, Wind and Hydro generators.

utter rollocks

end of

And how many EV's can fast recharge but then again too much fast charging is not recommended

100 charge points when Meadowhall's website suggests over 50 but with 12,000 parking spaces available your chance of getting on an EV chargepoint could be limited

And how many EV's do you have on your drive, when you and many others are queuing up to recharge on the move how long does it then take to get your 18 minutes of battery destroying charge

I was talking to someone recently who was telling me his EV needs a set of tyres every 6,000 miles that is not a little tyre pollution

And how many times were the battery components moved around the world as with most greens they miss out the wider manufacturing points

There was an interesting report a little while back where most of the tree planting to offset carbon emissions died within 2 - 5 years

Why is it the green movement always drag up this old chesnut to add some creedence to their argument while they deny any of the change to the climate could also be part of a natural occurance.
Climate science is very much like the King's new clothes and those that didn't see them were ridiculed. The trouble is the carbon lobby seems to have the high ground and it seems plenty of research money is thrown at it while ignoring any possible lunar or cyclic weather events of the present and the last 11,700 years since the end of the last ice age
I agree the climate is changing and it has done long before man as we know ever graced the planet so climate change is nothing new but now it is vehicle that can generate tax revenue and the bigger the problem the scientists make it the more tax can be levied
Your tyre story man must drive like an idiot, he'd surely get through tyres just as fast in a petrol car. There is no noticeable difference in tyre wear on EV's compared with ICE cars.

Solar working at night? You are aware of battery storage I take it?

We get it, you're a climate change denier and don't think an EV will work for you. Fair enough. Mine is awesome and costs me less than 10% of the running costs of my last equivalent Petrol car.

Most of the last generation, fast charging with active BMS systems doesn't seem to be an issue, battery warranties are still out at 8 years.

But it isn't, never had a problem yet getting onto a charge point, as the EV numbers grow, so will the charge points. The Meadowhall website is wrong, it's not been updated since the additional points were added.

I have two EV's on my drive, not sure about this question what you're asking? As stated earlier, the charging is not battery destroying

Often, charging facilities are there

You may find this a difficult concept to understand, I have these battery things and during the daytime they store electrical energy from sunlight. Then at night-time when were at home the energy from the batteries is transferred to the EV's

Not at all, I'm speaking from experience having change three and a half years ago from a 4.4 TDV8 Range Rover to my BMW i3. The exact same use including long journeys etc. Most other anti EV people only talk from hearsay and urban myths. So no, not at all ridiculous or flawed.

Clearly a very harsh driver and his EV tyre use would be just the same as an ICE vehicle. My i3 rear tyres lasted 22,000 miles, the front tyres 31,000 miles. Kind of proves my point above about hearsay and real experience.

A lot less than the raw materials for making ICE's and transporting the fuel for their use.

Care to share a link to that report? I've searched and cant find any such information. There's plenty saying that trees aren't the answer but none that I can find saying the only live 2 to 5 years.

At last, a point that we can almost agree on!
I do feel that the world goes through a cycle of climate change be it 500 years or 1000 years etc. I don't believe what we are currently experiencing is totally man made, I'm sure we have contributed to it, no denying that but when the expanse of the world and it's atmosphere is taken into account, man's input to it is miniscule to say the least and I doubt the severity of the impact caused by man.

All your arguments are very much the result of the deliberate smearing and misinformation put out by scientists paid for by Exxon Mobil. The ironic thing being it was the oil industry that discovered and documented climate change IS a direct result of burning fossil fuels back in the 60s. It was their scientists that coined terms like 'greenhouse gases' . Unfortunately the head of ExxonMobil decided that to address the problem would be bad for profits, and decided to bury the truth. There was a very good TV programme about this, I'll try to find the link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExxonMobil_climate_change_denial
Ask yourself this, when you get home from work and turn the central heating on, burning fossil fuels, how natural is the climate in your home? Climate change is basically the same thing on a global scale.

Last edited:
If we fail to mitigate the effects of climate change, we will all end up paying out for additional damage to infrastructure, flooding of property, via higher insurance costs and higher food costs.
We may do well in this country, in doing our bit, but meanwhile in Africa, India, Russia etc etc etc especially so for oil exporting countries, who have oceans of oil, nothing will change much.

Change is inevitable and we have to accept that as a fact, but I object to being told how I have to change, I believe I am intelligent enough to make up my own mind and investigate the facts for myself, trouble is there is so much miss-information out there.

We may do well in this country, in doing our bit, but meanwhile in Africa, India, Russia etc etc etc especially so for oil exporting countries, who have oceans of oil, nothing will change much.

A few of the middle eastern providers are now ahead of us in using solar!

Change is inevitable and we have to accept that as a fact, but I object to being told how I have to change, I believe I am intelligent enough to make up my own mind and investigate the facts for myself, trouble is there is so much miss-information out there.

I'm not adverse to change but being lectured by "head boys" will not win people over, nor will the relentless "you have to change" spouted by hypocrites