Joint In An Earthing Conductor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

says-les

Reaction score
I have had to make a joint in a 10 sq mm main earthing conductor to Incoming Water Supply Pipe, using ratchet crimp tool.  The joint is below a sink unit.  How should I protect this from corrosion?

Thanks

Why will it corrode? if the sink is leaking, fix the leak.  It's bone dry under my sink unit.

But if you are worried, wrap it with self amalgamating tape.

No M4tt ,  gotta do it properly ...green/yell stripey tape .

I think we worry too much about these things TBH  ...        

Problem .........  Cable too short !   :C

Solution ..........make it longer .         ;)

Method...........  crimp lug , taped up . :)

Problem solved ......moving on with life .   :^O :put the kettle on

I have had to make a joint in a 10 sq mm main earthing conductor to Incoming Water Supply Pipe, using ratchet crimp tool.  The joint is below a sink unit.  How should I protect this from corrosion?

Thanks

I do hope this is a Bonding conductor not an earthing conductor as you shouldn't be using a water supply pipe as a means of earthing an installation!  542.2.6  :innocent

Even a big choc block with some green and yellow tape would be a bit rough but ok ? Inside an enclosure ?
I would say not...

Without reading the regs and confirming (one way or the other), I am of the opinion that a bonding conductor should be continuous and without any joints that could be undone....

So IMHO a crimped lug would be OK whereas a bit of chock block wouldn't

How about a nice neat joint splicing the 7-strand then SOLDERING it. With the obligatory heat shrink of course.....................

How about a nice neat joint splicing the 7-strand then SOLDERING it. With the obligatory heat shrink of course.....................
Britannia joint, scarf joint or Married Joint?

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/res.pl?keyword=Britannia+Joint&offset=0

Ccannot find a pic of option 3 , BUT i used to do all of them......how fricking old does that make me

just jointing...

correction.....yes I can

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/res.pl?keyword=Married+Joint&offset=0

The old trade has been forgotten Kerchie interesting  stuff.
Now it's all crimps and scotch locks. It's IDCs on U/G joints now

I have crimper s upto 500 mm and indents and nests for ( I think ) upto 630mm

Tried putting some 25s on with one of my Hex crimper s the other day......crimps fell off! There was so little metal on them that the crimper dies had closed and released and hadn't even left a mark

Ended up doing it with an old BICCON indent

Just lamenting the loss of skills in a once great industry AND the proliferation of the import of absolute fecking carp!

...rant finishes

nowt wrong with a hammer and chisel,

as long as you administer the correct swing arc at the right velocity to ensure the correct magnitudinal force on the lug to ensure tightness to a recognised standard.  ;)

Latest posts