Just been to B and Q and.... the staff...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were advising people to change there own consumer units as it was NOT a hard job!!! I could not believe what i was hearing, i wanted to say something but i am not that kind of person.

The "customer" was asking which is best etc, and are there anything special required to change them.

The advisor whilst i was there, advised 2 customers that they are a simple DIY Job, that most people with general knowledge of electric would be able to do!

He also said, to be safe, just cut the security tags on the main fuse and pull it out.

Any cables that require extending can be done so by using conector blocks!

i wish something would just stop people like this headbang
One of B&Q's own leaflets used to say something about Part P notifiable jobs? :|

you have to love the B and Q diy guides... they are just soo funny! even in electrical area, there are diagrams around showing you how do to stuff.... I dont no why they cant clamp down on it though
Government won't they get to much revenue from them.

:(

Funnily enough you could argue that this is totally false.Whilst it would generally be acepted that you can carry out your own work in your own home, there is a but, and a very big but.

All work has to be carried out to BS7671 2008, one of the requirements of this is to ensure that the electrical installations safety is not compromised by any alteration or addition. This in my opinion could only be verified by testing.

On completetion and before re-energiseing any circuit again testing should be carried out.

I would doubt very much that any DIY'r would have access to a tester, so all work carried out in the home by him would be non compliant with BS7671 2008.

The consumer change is notifiable which would have to be notified before work started, and a full EIC issued on completion.

So I would argue that NO you can not do what you want with your own electrics.

Unless its carried out to BS7671 2008 IN FULL.
I`m going to be really pedantic here.

Whilst in total & utter agreeance with those of you wanting this reported to BQ head office; which would be ok as far as disciplining the staff r.e. the service fuse issue, I`ve got to take issue with Mr. Hornet`s remark above.

No one, including a home owner, me, you or anyone else HAS to comply with 7671. They are not law, simply guidance. The law we abide to is HASAWA `89. The homeowner is not at work, he`s in his house. Technically, he could do anything he wanted with the installation; post REC`s equipment.

I`m all for stopping the numptys who don`t understand the job; but WE must be careful to provide concise and accurate information.

Sorry. :coat

Thank God that B&Q have taken down the boards that use to show you how to wire up various circuits etc...

I`m going to be really pedantic here.Whilst in total & utter agreeance with those of you wanting this reported to BQ head office; which would be ok as far as disciplining the staff r.e. the service fuse issue, I`ve got to take issue with Mr. Hornet`s remark above.

No one, including a home owner, me, you or anyone else HAS to comply with 7671. They are not law, simply guidance. The law we abide to is HASAWA `89. The homeowner is not at work, he`s in his house. Technically, he could do anything he wanted with the installation; post REC`s equipment.

I`m all for stopping the numptys who don`t understand the job; but WE must be careful to provide concise and accurate information.

Sorry. :coat
But when they move don't they have to sign a declaration that any electrical work carried out after a certain date meets Part P regs?

True Martyn. But by working to BS7671 - You are also working to HASAWA `89.

Thank God that B&Q have taken down the boards that use to show you how to wire up various circuits etc...
Still got these near us, including leaflets to take home with diagrams headbang

[. The homeowner is not at work, he`s in his house. Technically, he could do anything he wanted with the installation ; post REC`s equipment.

That people is the stance of labc and all of the scams.......

homeowner is quite entitled to kill himself in his own home..........

Furthermore if i was looking to buy a house in the future the first thing i would do after seeing the survey report is to PIR the place !!!!!!!!

then negotiate a new price !!!!!

To be fair to diyers.......

my father-in-law is just first fixing his new house...albeit he is a builder by trade i only found 2 faults

no isolater for his bathroom fan

earth block used to extend the 10mm bonding

metal capping everywhere for his drops,,,grommets,, right cu,right tails

im back to test it off to REPLACE THE CU and test it off in a few weeks

only issue i have with him is his choice of fittings no good :_|

and 32 downlighters .............enuff said but are to be wired into junction boxes in the loft on a purpose built board

cant all be bad......and no neons ;)

[. The homeowner is not at work, he`s in his house. Technically, he could do anything he wanted with the installation ; post REC`s equipment.I`m all for stopping the numptys who don`t understand the job; but WE must be careful to provide concise and accurate information.

That people is the stance of labc and all of the scams.......

homeowner is quite entitled to kill himself in his own home..........

Furthermore if i was looking to buy a house in the future the first thing i would do after seeing the survey report is to PIR the place !!!!!!!!

then negotiate a new price !!!!!
first thing i would do is REWIRE THE PLACE Applaud Smiley:coat

Things like this realy wind me up. We go to college for our qualifications, go back to colege for more qualifications, then go back to colege for even more qualifications to keep in line with all the requirements given to us.

We have to go through some ridiculously managed rip off scheme to say that we are capable of doing our job.

Everybody complains about how much electrical work costs...

AND THEN we have to contend with some complete numpty in BnQ telling people that replacing a consumer unit is a simple job that people can do themselves!!!!X(X( X(

Instead of the government/local authorities getting on the backs of qualified sparks why the hell aren't they fining BnQ a couple of million quid for giving out advice like this.

They should shut down the oversized monopoly that is BnQ, the staff are no help at all, the electrical equiptment prices are just ridiculous apart from the consumer units as it happens.... and which idiot thought it would be a good idea to put the lighting at the oposite end of the warehouse to the electrical section headbang

Rant end.

and which idiot thought it would be a good idea to put the lighting at the oposite end of the warehouse to the electrical section headbang Rant end.
ROTFWLROTFWL

i have never noticed that before, but that's so true!!!

Latest posts