Kyoritsu 4120

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owpex

Reaction score
Hello

I am dedicated to issues of antennas and was thinking buy me a meter loop

As I will use little was thinking about buying a cheap one, namely a Kyoritsu 4120, not 4120A

The question is whether this device can measure old loops in TT, that is 220v phase to phase and 127 volts between phase and earth

Thank you very much

Your obviously not working in the UK then with that kind of distribution system. The Robin 4120 which is the original meter you are referring too will be no good for the 127volt PH/N/E. Although it will work on the 220volt ph/ph, the manufacturers told me it wasn't advisable!!! ...And that was a good few years ago ...lol!!!

Edit....

Just looked at the manual for Megger Marks instrument, and it states NOT to be used on PH /PH circuits!!! Also that the base or calculating voltage on this set is 230 plus and minus the usual percentages. So using on 127 volt will give you incorrect readings.... Must have changed the internals of the instrument since the Robin set!! lol!!

Your obviously not working in the UK then with that kind of distribution system. The Robin 4120 which is the original meter you are referring too will be no good for the 127volt PH/N/E. Although it will work on the 220volt ph/ph, the manufacturers told me it wasn't advisable!!! ...And that was a good few years ago ...lol!!!
He is in Spain Larnicaman.

I can not help has I have had no experience with this type of tester.

Didn't know Spain used that set up!! The only place i've come across this is in the Middle East ...notably Saudi!!! We had horrendous problems finding test equipment to test these 3 wire single phase systems. Very similar to the US system, but different voltage bands....

The manual of the 4120A clearly spoken about old TT system, and confirms that the equipment can measures it without problems

6.2 Measurement of "OLD-TT System"

OLD-TT system is a TT system with phase to phase voltage of 220 V

(instead of 400 V) and phase to earth of 127 V (instead of 230V) and

normally the neutral conductor is not used.

Connecting the loop testers to this system, all three wiring check LEDs

should be lit and the display reads a value of 127 V.

Only if all these conditions are respected the test can be carry out

http://www.kew-ltd.co.jp/en/download/pdf/manual/english/4116A_E.pdf

I really think that by simply joining the test leads of neutral and ground could make the measurement, the question is whether the k4120 could make the measurement at 127V

In Spain, as far as I know, TT system is used , old TT system ,as far as I know, is used only a few exceptions

The manual of the 4120A clearly spoken about old TT system, and confirms that the equipment can measures it without problems6.2 Measurement of "OLD-TT System"

OLD-TT system is a TT system with phase to phase voltage of 220 V

(instead of 400 V) and phase to earth of 127 V (instead of 230V) and

normally the neutral conductor is not used.

Connecting the loop testers to this system, all three wiring check LEDs

should be lit and the display reads a value of 127 V.

Only if all these conditions are respected the test can be carry out

http://www.kew-ltd.co.jp/en/download/pdf/manual/english/4116A_E.pdf

I really think that by simply joining the test leads of neutral and ground could make the measurement, the question is whether the k4120 could make the measurement at 127V

In Spain, as far as I know, TT system is used , old TT system ,as far as I know, is used only a few exceptions
The problem is owpex, the model that i'm aware of, is not the same as the model you are quoting. They have made internal changes to suit your supply systems. I take it that this model is available in Spain, ....It's not available in the UK with the specifications noted in the models manual you have posted. .... I'm pretty sure this is the model that Robin (the original manufacturer) supplied for us while working on a Saudi project and is capable of measuring 120v to 260v. The manual, quite clearly states that the k1420a WILL work at 127v according to page 15 of your posted manual. (OLD 220v/127v TT system)

I think your correct too, in you assuming connecting neutral test lead and earth test lead to earth, and the phase test lead to the phase to be measured, you will achieve a reading where a neutral is not available. (OLD 220V/127V TT system)

Are there no electrical forums in Spain, where you can get this sort of information from??

The problem is owpex, the model that i'm aware of, is not the same as the model you are quoting. They have made internal changes to suit your supply systems. I take it that this model is available in Spain, ....It's not available in the UK with the specifications noted in the models manual you have posted. .... I'm pretty sure this is the model that Robin (the original manufacturer) supplied for us while working on a Saudi project and is capable of measuring 120v to 260v. The manual, quite clearly states that the k1420a WILL work at 127v according to page 15 of your posted manual. (OLD 220v/127v TT system)I think your correct too, in you assuming connecting neutral test lead and earth test lead to earth, and the phase test lead to the phase to be measured, you will achieve a reading where a neutral is not available. (OLD 220V/127V TT system)

Are there no electrical forums in Spain, where you can get this sort of information from??
4120A effectively measures the 127v, the problem is whether the 4120 also makes

According to a manual of 4120, in Icelandic :)

http://www.reykjafell.is/gogn/kyoritsu_maelar.pdf, there is another model that yes measures the old TT systems, the 4120D, which leads to think that the 4120 does not

I consulted with two dealers here in Spain and one says no problems and the other says that if any could

Too many questions for my body :)

Owpex,

Think your best bet is to contact the manufacturer direct, they are now obviously making different models for different markets!!!

Sorry, i can't read Finnish, and it would be foolish to assume what model does what, ...ie in this case 4120 and 4120D

At the end acquired the k4120 and everything is ok

the device measures in old TT systems and not trip the RCD, at least in the tests I've done so far

also measured between phases provided that the voltage not exceeding 240V

Thak you very much