Large number of items on circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglas98

Reaction score
This is my first official post so please excuse if I make a mistake I am wondering if there are any tips or advice for when you are testing . Say I was doing a test after changing an emergency light in a corridor of a care home, when doing the tests such as continuity or insulation resistance where it states test at every point or disconnect luminaires etc what is the way to do this when there are 15 emergency lights spread across a large building I’m not sure if you should go round and disconnect every light on the circuit or if you should test at each point this seems like a potential for problems as your altering things that your not scheduled to work on any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

You don't disconnect. Disconnect the relevant neutral conductor, connect to the line and carry out an insulation resistance test between these conductors and earth only. The test between live conductors is not really relevant on existing installations.
I would suggest test prior to changes to highlight potential issues and then test again after, this will help to assess whether any faults were there before or after you carried out works.

You don't disconnect. Disconnect the relevant neutral conductor, connect to the line and carry out an insulation resistance test between these conductors and earth only. The test between live conductors is not really relevant on existing installations.
I would suggest test prior to changes to highlight potential issues and then test again after, this will help to assess whether any faults were there before or after you carried out works.
I will keep this is mind for the future thank your for your reply

to add to Fleetings point, trest LN-E and at 250V not 500V, so as not to potentially damage any control circuitry in the lights - it's a problem with some LED gear.