LCD tv

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Ok boys & girls the 107 households tv has given up the ghost this morning.

Now Mrs 107 & myself are off out today to purchase a new LCD hd ready tv.

Not knowing the first thing about such things .... any advise on what to go for?

Forgot to say the PS3 needs to look ok on it :^O

Ok boys & girls the 107 households tv has given up the ghost this morning.Now Mrs 107 & myself are off out today to purchase a new LCD hd ready tv.

Not knowing the first thing about such things .... any advise on what to go for?

Forgot to say the PS3 needs to look ok on it :^O
well.....one suggestion i have is take your PS3 with you

not sure it will balance on it though

or take the PS3 with you and give it a try out in the store....

Sony Bravia are supposed to be good

If you have deep pockets then the Pioneer Kuro have the best blacks of any flat screen TV. If you are looking for LCD (not plasma) then Panasonic's a good choice. Would avoid Samsung's though as they have had some "issues" with pic quality with certain sources (and IIRC one of them was the PS3).

Have a look over at avforums as they will most likely have an owners thread on any TV you are looking at with real user opinions.

Ian.

I would definatly be looking at the LG over the Acoustic Solutions but if you want a 37" then a 32" may be too small. Probably best to at least go look at some of these in currys/comet but I wuld suggest not being pressured into buying anything there and then as its most likely cheaper somewhere else.

Ian.

Find one you like in a store, go online, see how cheap you can find it - print that out and take it to Comet - I've done this a few times and they've either matched the price or thrown goos in to the equvalant.

Really try this! I bet online they pay more for it in the first place than Curries/Comet do so they can move on price.

We have a Euronics Centre near us (independant companies joing the euronics 'club' and they will price match the internet too.)

Get the model number and check it out on avforums (link above). There will most likely be an owners thread for it.

If you have deep pockets then the Pioneer Kuro have the best blacks of any flat screen TV. If you are looking for LCD (not plasma) then Panasonic's a good choice. Would avoid Samsung's though as they have had some "issues" with pic quality with certain sources (and IIRC one of them was the PS3).Have a look over at avforums as they will most likely have an owners thread on any TV you are looking at with real user opinions.

Ian.
I'd agree with Ian on Panasonic, but I would consider Plasma over LCD as they handle motion far better without the artefacts of LCD

if looking to compare pricing check out

http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.Page&page=stores

Been around for years will do mail order, way cheaper (usually) than Comet etc

my mate is an ex tv engineer/repair guy and everyone in the shop wouldnt touch a plasma with a barge pole their very exp if they go wrong. LCD every time i used to make LCD displays few years back intresting stuff ! I have a bush idlcd32tv27hd hd hdmi its a good solid tv with great pic/sound etc i have two autistic sons one with ADHD and a week after we got it he scored the top left of screen with a big glass dimond looking bit of crap the mrs has dotted around but still works fine luckily if it can stand up to them ITS A GOOD TV ! lol they also use it for ps3/x-box360 etc still fine !

and about

I wouldn't go back to LCD now I have a Pioneer Kuro. They have a pic thats much closer to od CRT. LCD is far too fake and can't achieve the contrast range that plasma can.

LCD are better in a bright room, but if you want decent picture and colours and watch when there isnt bright sunshine on it, plasma is the way to go. Plasma's work in a bright room but because of their superior contrast range, some "dark scenes" will look almost black (but not in the evening) whereas LCD can't do black, its grey.

Ian.

Ians right about the Pioneers especially if you like watching sci fis, but hellishly expensive.... :(

In the end I got a Panasonic 42PZ85 (not the PX model) and am very happy with the pic quality especially on PS3Guiness Drink

The Sony Bravia LCD has a good pic and I think they now offer a 3 year warranty, could be worth checking out..

I like the Panasonic one that is being advertised on the box now.

:p

** When I win the Lottery, Maybe? But there again - I will have to start putting the Lottery on again first :) **

I wouldn't go back to LCD now I have a Pioneer Kuro. They have a pic thats much closer to od CRT. LCD is far too fake and can't achieve the contrast range that plasma can. LCD are better in a bright room, but if you want decent picture and colours and watch when there isnt bright sunshine on it, plasma is the way to go. Plasma's work in a bright room but because of their superior contrast range, some "dark scenes" will look almost black (but not in the evening) whereas LCD can't do black, its grey.

Ian.
Again agree with Ian, some 7 years back we were told plasma was dead, LCD will take the whole market, well it's not happened simply because for moving image you can't beat Plasma, the new models from Panasonic just get better and better, this is almost a VHS/Betamax argument, however VHS was cr*p compared to Betamax

Ian I guess you have heard that Pioneer have now pulled out of PDP business

What about LED TVs. There're incredibly thin but not cheap at the moment but will fall in price as did plasma & LCD.

I still find I'm selling 30 LCDs for every Plasma sold.Samsung still outselling Panasonic despite the tv ads. What I'm really after now is a good quality, budget priced LCD range...haven't been able to find any since my supply of Tosumi (BDC brand) stopped.
Amazing how you manage to bring BDC into every thread. :D

Latest posts