Led randomly dimmed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im on the 21st floor of a apartment building and out of 10downlights 1 keeps randomly dimming. They are your standerd led gu10 down lights no transformers and switched from a sensor.

Ive changed the bulb twice and the actual unit itself still dims. 240v voltage has been confirmed to rule out voltdrop and all connections checked and tested but it still proceeds to dim.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this.?20230926_131833.jpg

Check connections at the nearest downlight. Downlights are daisy chained, so problem could be at the previous light in the chain.
Checked all the connections all in wagos tight and fine its in the middle of a run and all the other ones are fine. Have tested the surrounding downlights as well to double check it all but no visable fault that we can find

Is any ventilation in the fitting clear? You imply that the lampsare failing so perhaps overheating or cheap lamps and bad luck
Leaning more towards bad luck lamps are standerd bulbs never had a problem all the othet lights on the floor are the same becoming a mystery

Fittings been changed and the bulbs multiple times nothing seems to be wrong at all leaning towards just some bad luck
You can get some odd effects in circuits, especially at the ends if them, but I would buy lamps from Osram or Phillips, and see if that makes a difference. It could also be something to do with being a high rise block of flats, and energy demands elsewhere in the building. My own kitchen has a similar problem with one single lamp, can't find anything wrong with the circuit, so I'm going to change the lamp for a decent make, when I get around to it 😃

Why don’t you put a GU10 to test lead adapter in with some long leads or even a lead off the back of the lamp socket and see what the voltage is doing!

Why don’t you put a GU10 to test lead adapter in with some long leads or even a lead off the back of the lamp socket and see what the voltage is doing!
Trust me when i say we ve tested everything voltage is steady no fluctuateing at all everythings fine tried a couple brands of downlights and it seems to have solved itself.

If it was the voltage id expect it to effect other downlights 10 on the sams circuit no problem at all. Put it down to bad luck