Lights dimming 😕

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl1985

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone could offer some advice, occasionally my lights in the front and back room dim for about 2 seconds and then go back to normal probably happens once every couple of months. I've checked connections on the lights, switches and at the board all are tight and good connections. The front room has a dimmer switch and led gu10 bulbs, the back room light is a set of 5 lights that has a transformer built in and g4 halogen bulbs. Is this something that occasionally happens or does it require further investigation? 

Last edited by a moderator:
could be a large load being switched on fed off the same sub-station, causing a brief drop in supply voltage. e.g. motors etc. in a nearby workshop/garage.

Do they dim if you switch on a big load in YOUR house, e.g do they dim, even just a little, when you turn the kettle on?

Not that I've noticed it's normally when were sat down watching tv and they dim to very low almost off then back on within a second. I'd imagine if it was a loose connection it would happen more frequently and be more of a flickering.

Just tried the kettle and the washing machine is on as well and they didn't change at all.

Latest posts