LED retro-fit tubes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lurch, thanks for trying to clear me up in this but I have fitted a few myself as retrofits but it is my technical curiosity that's my problem.

I'm just off the phone to Steve at Crompton Lighting, and he has cleared up this topic for me.

For anyone out there who has the time to be interested, the non-electronic circuit end of these tubes contain simply a glass fuse between the pins he says.  The same applies to the starter switch that is supplied with the lamp.

When I challenged him with the danger of a client replacing such an led tube due to failure of the original, what is to prevent him from inserting the tube the wrong way round - bang!?  His answer is that each retrofit luminaire should (must) be fitted with a warning label to warn of such a hazard.

I am gonna suggest to the administrators of this forum to encourage some manufacturing technical design people to take part for all of our sakes.  I simply can't accept fitting devices without technical info from the manufacturing, not just an instruction leaflet.

In my case, the Crompton lamps I bought for a job came with no such warning labels.

When I challenged him with the danger of a client replacing such an led tube due to failure of the original, what is to prevent him from inserting the tube the wrong way round - bang!?

Eh? It doesn't though, they can be inserted any way round.

I think you're getting the 2 types confused.

Eh? It doesn't though, they can be inserted any way round.

I think you're getting the 2 types confused.
I mean if the circuit is wired with mains directly to one end.  There is no danger if retrofit method is used, as you say.

if you put a normal tube in a fitting re-wired to mains at 1 end, it just won't work. Doesn't go bang, I've tried it.
What type of tube are you referring to as "normal".  If you mean an LED tube designed for retrofit it will blow the internal fuse that Crompton told me today is fitted at the non-electronic circuit end.  If you mean a fluorescent lamp fitted by an innocent consumer, the filament which is rated at 12v will burnout.

if you put the LED tube in the wrong way round, it doesn't work, turn it around agian and hey-presto it springs into life!

Florries don't have a filament, they are tubes full of gas.

Quite a few of my local wholesalers now sell empty 'fluorescent' batten shells   in both standard and anti-corrosive for you to wire as you want. About 18 months ago part of a job was to fit 15 double anti-corrosive 6ft fittings with LED tubes and the cheapest option was to buy standard fittings and remove & discard  the chokes and tubes.

if you put a normal tube in a fitting re-wired to mains at 1 end, it just won't work. Doesn't go bang, I've tried it.
According to Crompton Lamps Techie guy the opposite end has a glass fuse across the bi-pins.  So a fuse across 230volts bla bla bang (good fuse will not release sound). No?

So a fuse across 230volts bla bla bang (good fuse will not release sound). No?

But you aren't putting it across 230V, unless you are rewiring the fitting.

Please read the posts in this thread and make clear and concise statements of fact and ask connected/related questions.

I have absolutely no idea WTH you are wittering on about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Say-les, I have converted about 1200 fittings, always be re-wiring to take out the ballast, if you put a tube in the wrong way round after putting 240V to 1 end, it does courgette all to it.