Led shelf lighting (soldering)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikeplants

Reaction score
hi im looking to solder solid-color led strips to one power supply for each color, in order to dim each color individually. this is reasonable right?
if i were to split the white strip over 4 different shelves, and i don't want to connect the ends of each strip to the next one (cause it'll be messy) so would i be able to wire each strip that was split from the main roll into one wire just by twisting the live wires, and then the ground wires from the four strips, into one wire for each to go into the switch power supply? I'm trying to dim the white, separate from the red, separate from the blue.
also how would i do this on a smaller scale, like dimming multiple different colors. would it be like zones on the power supply? should i just get a bigger one? also only one pmw dimmer can be used per power supply?
hopefully someone can answer these questions.
thanks

You say
split the white strip over 4 different shelves

But you also said

I'm trying to dim the white, separate from the red, separate from the blue.

I have to ask, what about the green?

You can buy RGBW LED strip, but I have never heard of RBW strip. (Or are you just going to not use the green?)

To clarify:

LED STRIPS
Most LED strips are either 5v or 12v DC (The ones that claim to be mains, are supplied with a power supply or have an in line capacitive dropper)

DIMMING
To dim the LEDs you install a PWM dimmer AFTER the power supply, you can also get 4 channel PWM dimmers with remote control. You can have more than one PWM dimmer on a power supply if required.

VOLTAGE (drop)
You do not need to connect both ends of your LED strip unless it is a very long distance, so unless each shelf is 33 feet long, you will have no problem.

POWER SUPPLY
Your power supply output should be:
1) The same voltage as your LEDs (12v is best)
2) Be able to supply enough current (Amps) to power all the LEDs to full brightness, a bigger (Current) rated power supply is better. It should also be as close to the LED strips as possible. (To avoid voltage drop)

Buying
You can often buy "kits" of ready made LED RGBW strips, as you are in America I would suggest you Click Here

(50)

Latest posts