LED strip wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparrowsnest

Reaction score
Hi! Our electricians said they would leave our LED light strip ready to ‘plug in’ but I don’t think we’re quite there. Can anyone help?

I bought this https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/led-neo...ble-flexible-tube-light-in-natural-white.html

and this https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/single-colour-mini-neon-flex-accessories-pack-ip65.html but seem to have lost everything but the cable part. Can I get replacements from e.g. CEF?

It’s going around a board. Then the electricians have left the blue box CT101 20A 3 pin connector like this https://www.arrowelectricals.co.uk/ct101-m-20a-3-pin-flow-push-in-connector/ (which I understand unplugs into two parts).
do I just need to wire the ends of the cable in the second link, into the unplugging part of the blue box?

if So, then my Other question is, can I buy the missing parts from the second link from. CEF and what do I do with them? I think the pins/prongs go into the end of the led strip, then I put the end of the cable in the second link over it, then do I use one of those plastic wraps to cover it?
thanks!!

Why haven't your electricians completed the work?

You haven't mentioned what power supply, (LED driver), you intend using?

Why can't you go back to your original supplier to replace your missing bits?

Why haven't your electricians completed the work?

You haven't mentioned what power supply, (LED driver), you intend using?

Why can't you go back to your original supplier to replace your missing bits?
I just thought I might be able to pick them up directly rather than waiting for delivery. I thought the led driver might be part of the blue box the electricians left in the wall… the understanding was it would be ready to plug in, so figured I wasn’t that far off. But I’m missing something? I was hoping I would be able to sort it rather than getting them back in

I didn’t say exactly that the blue box is wired into the main power, they’ve left it coming out of the wall where I’m putting this led strip

If the blue plug connector is directly onto a 230v AC mains supply..
It will fry your LED strip that requires 24v DC supply rather quickly!!!

I suspect that at the moment there is a lack of information and a bit too much guess-work to suggest any safe options that you could do..??

Needs a bit more visual info plus probably a few electrical tests before connecting and energising anything IMHO.

It appears to me that you have bought the led strip and adaptor cable, and the blue mains connector. What's missing is the led driver unit.
I would guess that your electrician has assumed you have it on order, as you bought the rest.
When you get one it goes between the mains supply and the cable to the led strip.
(The driver reduces the mains voltage to a low voltage matched to the led strip)

Thanks Geoff and everyone. I just checked and don’t think there’s a driver before the blue box, so can it go between the blue box and the cable to the led strip? I’ll make sure I get one. Do you know if you can get the ‘prongs’ from somewhere like CEF that connect the cable to the led strip? I don’t know if they have another name..
Thanks Geoff and everyone. I just checked and there’s no driver that I can see inside the wall behind the blue box. So can the driver go between the blue box and the Led wire?

Do you know if CEF / similar sells the ‘prongs’ that go between the led and the cable? I don’t know if they have another name and that’s why I can’t find them on their website

If I were you I'd buy the driver from the supplier of the LED strip.

The Click connector needs to be connected to the mains cable coming out of the wall and the primary connection on the LED driver.

Out of interest where are you going to put the driver ? These do go wrong so please ensure its accessible