Light fault 'tripping' RCD on the ring circuits.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feenster

Reaction score
I have an offgrid set up with no mains connection at all.

Recently, an interesting thing happened. The RCD on the distribution panel 'tripped' when it was wet and windy. After much trial and error I found the problem to be an outdoor light fitting that water was getting into.
However, the RCD is only on the ring (socket) circuits and shouldn't have anything to do with the lights and yet it 'tripped'. I have 7 socket circuits (each a ring circuit), each with its own MCB, protected by one RCD. This is the RCD that 'trips'. I have no RCD on the radial circuits for the lights.
(The RCD is a Hager 63A 2 pole RCD 30mA (type A)).
Is this unusual?

Having 7 socket circuits to a single RCD isn’t a great set up to start with

Extreme Earth leakage from “other” circuits can trip RCDs protecting other circuits.

I have an earth rod hammered into the ground.
Connected at a generator? Where is your neutral connected to earth? Are there other possible "earths", such as plumbing ?
My thinking is that part of the fault current from your non-rcd lighting is somehow going through one side (probably neutral) of your power circuit rcd.
This suggests to me that there is possibly neutral to earth leakage somewhere in your power circuits, not sufficient to trip the rcd normally, but giving fault current in your earth network an alternative path. Does that make sense?
Sheer guesswork, but you haven't told us much about your system and nothing about what is connected to it.

That’s irrelevant. We’re not talking about the live, just the earth and neutral. Any earth-neutral connection will be sensed by the RCD, regardless of how the live connection of any particular circuit is wired.

That’s irrelevant. We’re not talking about the live, just the earth and neutral. Any earth-neutral connection will be sensed by the RCD, regardless of how the live connection of any particular circuit is wired.

You 100% sure about that in a board where only the socket circuits are protected by the RCD?

Yes.
The fact that some sockets are protected by RCD means the live feeds of those protected circuits are cut through the RCD, correct?
The neutrals and earths are all connected to the same busbars - this applies for every circuit, correct?
So a neutral to earth fault on any circuit will be detected by the RCD.

Yes.
The fact that some sockets are protected by RCD means the live feeds of those protected circuits are cut through the RCD, correct?
The neutrals and earths are all connected to the same busbars - this applies for every circuit, correct?
So a neutral to earth fault on any circuit will be detected by the RCD.

Er, not correct