Lighting upgrade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been asked about upgrading an existing lighting system in a block of flats

the lights are basicly in the hallways and 2 stairwells the internal coridor between the 2

entrances have 2 internal doors. 36 lights exist all 16w 2d 2pin type bulkheads all controlled by

lag switches around the block and a timer to turn them all on when dark.

My question/s is I want to upgrade the system so that I utillise pir sensors to only turn on the

stairwell you walk into from inside/outside and only the floor you walk into/out of so

do I know need to include emegency lighting as this does not currently exist and if so

where do I fit this with regards to regulation.Thanks

The EM lighting will be up to the building FRA, though there should be some, don't know how there could not be, so as well as 7671 you will need 5266 (IIRC).

As Sidy says BS7671 has no requirement for Emg Lights..

You are only obliged to install what your client has asked you to install..

and make sure that is in accordance with BS7671..

If they ask you to do more...?

then thats a different matter...

Have you mentioned Emg Lights to the client???

oh..

welcome to Admins magical forumbulator!

Guinness

EM lighting aside.

You could bin the timers change the lag switches for secret key switches, then using lots of conduit & singles or FP fit pir's around the corridors, you'll have to take into account people leaving their flats will need the lights to come on, so a sensor at the entrace will not be any good for them.......................or just change all the light fittings for something that has a built in pir

Expensive option:

LOGEMENT INTRIEUR : appliques et plafonniers voila powerled

Cheaper option:

Circular Ceiling Fitting With Built In PIR

If you are upgrading the lighting then does then mean u r re wiring them? If I was you and u wanted each floor on its own pir then just wire the lighting normally but with pir ceiling switches or wall switchs... Then when they reach each floor, on comes the light. I would fit the em lighting at each floor in the communal hall way and at all exits.. Depending on the floor size determins how many u will need per squar meter.

Just replace the existing time lags with PIR wall switches (no nuetral required type)

Have done several like this with good results

Latest posts