Advice needed on upgrading communal lighting in a small block of flats built in 1970s.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliverlong

Reaction score
I am responsible for organising the refurbishment / renovation of communal electrical supply and devices in a 1970s purpose-built block of flats in North London, UK. I am getting estimates for replacing lighting in the communal areas. Currently the lights are activated by timed push-button switches – which were common when the block was built. The new collective freeholders want and need to upgrade to whatever are the current regulations for lighting and other safety devices, such as smoke alarms, in multiply occupied buildings. The existing wiring to the lights is “pyro”. Is it possible to bypass the existing push-button switches, replace the existing light fittings with motion-detect and built in security lighting in case of power supply failure and retain the existing pyro supply to avoid routing surface mounted plastic conduit all over the ceiling surfaces? Anything else important to consider? This is so I can have a sensible conversation with the contractors quoting for the job.

it may be possible to convert all wiring to permanent live from switched live if the fittings all have their occupancy sensor. only issue with this is you'll need a test point adj each emergency light. you're going to need to get someone to come look at it properly

Almost impossible without being there but
If the switches make the lights come on then bypassing the switches will provide 230 at each fitting so it should be feasible to replace existing lights with PIR operated emergency fittings using existing pyro.
However pyro needs testing properly...not many people can work with pyro due to a dumbing down of training
Emergency lighting design needs doing
Lights might be in wrong place

it may be possible to convert all wiring to permanent live from switched live if the fittings all have their occupancy sensor. only issue with this is you'll need a test point adj each emergency light. you're going to need to get someone to come look at it properly
as per Andy's post, I've converted several stair wells to light fittings with built in microwave sensors. If you have old 2D flouresecent lamps, Kosnic do a great replacement gear tray that saves on having to change the fittings. The great thing about converting to individual sensors is you don't have sticky push buttons for ever getting bashed by tennants, and occasinally sticking on for hours on end. It also means if someone lives on, say, the first floor, they will only trigger the lights to that level, and not illuminate the whole stairwell every time. This offers some energy savings. Kosnic gear trays also have light level sensors, so if you have a well illumintaed stairwell, ie lots of windows, they can be set not to illuminate if there is sufficient daylight, but darker areas of the stairs will still illuminate because each gear tray works independently of the rest. Kosnic also offer 3 hour battery packs for emergency lighting.

With regards to the pyro, chances are it's still in good condition. I tested a church wired with this stuff some time ago, it as still working well. The church having been built around 1920.

The only way to answer the question completely and thoroughly would be a site visit

Recommend you write your requirement out clearly and get a few quotes

Get in contact with the lighting manufacturer. They may offer a design service as emergency lighting needs to be at a specific lux levels depending on the area served.

Thanks for all your replies. I contacted a recommended local contractor. He is confident he can fix the required lighting units to the existing wiring and just bypass the old timer switches, fixing blanking plates where the switches currently are.