Line Speed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering ...........I recently accepted BT,s offer of an upgrade to BT Infinity for free  ...after many letters prompting me to upgrade.

This was after I complained that Yahoo had made changes to my Firefox display without permission they offered the free upgrade .

Anyway they stuck a new router in , did strange things up the road in the green cabinet and announced I was now on BT infinity which works at a blistering speed .apparently. 

I just did a speed check        Download  37.4 Mb            Upload      8.51 Mb      is that good ?   or what ? 

I note it takes a whole minute to open my non-business BT email page ........ploughing through Yahoo crap /adverts click this ... click password..... etc

Generally I see no difference whatsoever .

Tested just a few seconds ago, on a wifi connection remote to the router here, on Virgin Media, to a Virgin Media test point in Bristol on speedtest.net

Down: 18.77

Up: 2.01

3196596647.png

Last edited by a moderator:

And I am supposed to be on super fast broadband, however this was from my lappy on wifi

We've got a full house at the moment...

all the rabble back home from uni.... 

data flying left right and center all around the house...

something like...

2x Desktop PC's

3x Windows Laptops

1x Mac laptop

2x Blackberries

3x mini Ipads

4x Ipods

1x Blueray player

1x Smart TV

1x PS3 console

2x Hp wireless printers

3x Samsung phones (dunno what breed??) with wifi..

combination of wireless & wired Cat5 via

1x Belkin 8 port data switch

1x Belkin 5 port data switch

1x old Belkin ADSL router now set up just to boost the wireless coverage  

1x old Netgear Cisco ADSL router also set up just to boost the wireless coverage 

everything connected back to a Virgin media super hub on the cheapest data & phone package (no TV)

on my 'old' steam driven desktop, the one with all my work invoices and quotes etc on,

I did a speed test a while ago and got

31.42 down

1.99 up

Just done it again as you lot have put up pictures...

and I dont want to feel left out...

so

Guinness

5.29Mbps down  / 0.5Mbps up on BT. Dodgy old line to us with no chance of upgrade anytime soon!

Same story with gas & main drainage as in haven't got them!

BT basically offer a 40meg down 10 meg up infinity Fibre to the Cabinet basic service and the option of a superior 80meg down 20 meg up version to those with shorter home-to-Infinity-cabinet lines for a bit more money . .

The maximums are unlikely to seen, but getting 95% of the top service is possible if you live next to the infinity cabinet. it starts dropping off over 0.4 mile of cable  (not crow flight!)  away  (e.g I get 50meg down 16meg up at 0.45mile cable, or 0.2mile as the crow flies)infinity.JPG

the lower speed service can achieve close to its promised figures and maintain this up to about 0.6miles of cable  38 and 9 is a good result on this service

While being upgraded they should have checked your line and provided a very accurate prediction of what is possible.   If you are not getting what's predicted some changes to your internal phone wiring might well help . . I can advise if you think this might be the issue.

However given those speedtest readings I think you problem lies either with your router (unlikely as from your description of 'one router'  it is the new HomeHub5) or it is a problem with your wifi or internet set up.

Firstly connect your PC to the router directly with an Ethernet cable and see if you still have the problem.   If you still do I would suspect a PC /browser problem is causing the slow loading.

HTH

8.17 Down        0.87 up      18 ping

BT basically offer a 40meg down 10 meg up infinity Fibre to the Cabinet basic service and the option of a superior 80meg down 20 meg up version to those with shorter home-to-Infinity-cabinet lines for a bit more money . .

The maximums are unlikely to seen, but getting 95% of the top service is possible if you live next to the infinity cabinet. it starts dropping off over 0.4 mile of cable  (not crow flight!)  away  (e.g I get 50meg down 16meg up at 0.45mile cable, or 0.2mile as the crow flies)
attachicon.gif
infinity.JPG

the lower speed service can achieve close to its promised figures and maintain this up to about 0.6miles of cable  38 and 9 is a good result on this service

While being upgraded they should have checked your line and provided a very accurate prediction of what is possible.   If you are not getting what's predicted some changes to your internal phone wiring might well help . . I can advise if you think this might be the issue.

However given those speedtest readings I think you problem lies either with your router (unlikely as from your description of 'one router'  it is the new HomeHub5) or it is a problem with your wifi or internet set up.

Firstly connect your PC to the router directly with an Ethernet cable and see if you still have the problem.   If you still do I would suspect a PC /browser problem is causing the slow loading.

HTH
Thanks for that offer Bruspark !    Yes it is a Hub 5  Router   and the cabinet is  about 300 yds away .

I just tried some random googles which took  4 secs to search & find  so I'm not whinging about that .       Its more ... well sometimes the Forum takes forever to appear ...sometimes not .    Access BT email address can be 1 min. as you have to go to a Yahoo page full of adverts  & crap .

Have to admit  that Youtube doesn't do that buffering thing anymore though ,  perhaps I'm being too picky.   

I know a lot of you guys don't like BT  but compared to the service I had before it IS  better ,  I used to be  Wannadoo which became Orange and the future was never bright I can assure you.  

Access BT email address can be 1 min. as you have to go to a Yahoo page full of adverts  & crap

Have you tried setting up an email client such as outlook express? I have a @btinternet.com  address works fine with outlook express.

Yes the BT webmail is 'not very well provided' by Yahoo. BT did announce in the spring that they would be moving to provide their own mail services as it was getting ridiculously poor but it's all gone very quiet since. Expect they've now found the original contract

Latest posts