Looking for advice again . New PC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is this Ubuntu of which you speak?, I have a couple of lappys one running windows 8 and the other windows 10, they both ran fine for a few months then ran very slow, the 8 keeps stopping and a comment comes up "explorer has stopped due to a long running script", what! I've next to nothing on either of them so why the problems, they have anti virus and are defragged regularly, not that they really need it. I just feel as though MS want you to buy a new computer every year.
Ah, sit down young man, Uncle Albert will explain how OS's work,

In my version of the world, so don't contradict me if my opinions don't meet your facts,

In the beginning there was Unix,

From Unix came Linux, and that developed into many different forms, one of the mist popular and easiest is Ubuntu, which is unfortunately ENTIRELY FREE, so no business is interested in it,

Also from this Unix came a really fkd up version called windoze that they charge you a substantial amount of money for as they have added a load of stuff to make your PC more vulnerable and run very slow, all that development takes time and costs money, it is a business after all,

Also from Unix came OSX, which costs a horrendeous amount of money , but actually works, unlike Windoze,

Oh, as for business not using Unix,  I was wrong, almost every server in the world uses it, as does most likely your router at home, along with your satellite box, and almost anything else computerised you have, Android is based.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, sit down young man, Uncle Albert will explain how OS's work,

In my version of the world, so don't contradict me if my opinions don't meet your facts,

In the beginning there was Unix,

From Unix came Linux, and that developed into many different forms, one of the mist popular and easiest is Ubuntu, which is unfortunately ENTIRELY FREE, so no business is interested in it,

Also from this Unix came a really fkd up version called windoze that they charge you a substantial amount of money for as they have added a load of stuff to make your PC more vulnerable and run very slow, all that development takes time and costs money, it is a business after all,

Also from Unix came OSX, which costs a horrendeous amount of money , but actually works, unlike Windoze,

Oh, as for business not using Unix,  I was wrong, almost every server in the world uses it, as does most likely your router at home, along with your satellite box, and almost anything else computerised you have, Android is based.  
Ah I see, Grasshopper, and can I stick this on my laptop without stuffing it up?

I have this..

AMD E1-6010 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics × 2

laptop with 4Gb RAM and a 120Gb SSD running Ubuntu and it works quite well... for some reason we bought another one of these pieces of **** laptops for the wife but with 4Gb RAM and a 320Gb HDD,, she has Win10 and it's god awful

Make what you will of it

Ah I see, Grasshopper, and can I stick this on my laptop without stuffing it up?
Not without considering what applications you use and whether they are available in Linux - almost all are in one form or another.

And you should make an image backup in case you really want to return to Windows.

cheers, Paul