low energy dimmable recessed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
low energy dimmable recessed Lighting

that's what I got asked for,,,,, any Ideas????

Jcc do megaman dimmerable downlights but they are a nightmare to dim there are only a few dimmer switches that are suitable. The other option is use the dors dimming which you use a normal switch which you can then dim down in four stages. Personally I don't recommend trying to dim these low energy lamps because I think they will not last the rated 15,000 hours. I think TLC also do dimmerable downlights too.

Is it not just ELV downlights on a dimmer?

Use electronic dimmable transformers.

Jcc do megaman dimmerable downlights but they are a nightmare to dim there are only a few dimmer switches that are suitable. The other option is use the dors dimming which you use a normal switch which you can then dim down in four stages. Personally I don't recommend trying to dim these low energy lamps because I think they will not last the rated 15,000 hours. I think TLC also do dimmerable downlights too.
Use the recommended dimmer or you'll get flickering lamps.

I use the JCC dimmable cfl downlights, 11w GU10

http://www.megamanuk.com/megaman-products/lamps/sku.php?order_code=417699&series_id=7&sub_series_id=20

List of compatable dimmers on the webpage

I know that, they are 230V, which is why I was asking if they are low energy.

I know that, they are 230V, which is why I was asking if they are low energy.
GU10 is the cap type, as in the type of cap, not the type of lamp. You can get low energy or full energy GU10 lamps.

low wattage rather than low voltage:)
Low voltage are low wattage, on the 230 side, compared to GU10 equivalent wattages of lamps.

One thing I have found with the low energy GU10 fittings is some of them are just plastic, which is fine for CFL use but not if there's any likelihood of a halogen GU10 ever being fitted to it.

Low voltage are low wattage, on the 230 side, compared to GU10 equivalent wattages of lamps. One thing I have found with the low energy GU10 fittings is some of them are just plastic, which is fine for CFL use but not if there's any likelihood of a halogen GU10 ever being fitted to it.
surely a 50w is a 50w whether it is 12v or 230v?

I think read somewhere that 12v on dimmable transformers will dim normal mr16 LED anyone have experience?