Manchester bomb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was not allowed by the Catholic church  here (UK) at one time either without the other partner taking religious instruction from a priest, and giving the commitment that the children would be brought up in the Catholic faith.

Several of us posted on twitter, offering to drive anyone affected, didn't get any calls but felt better by making the offer, in that situation you try and do what you can, sometimes just a hug and a few kind words makes all the difference.

It was not allowed by the Catholic church  here (UK) at one time either without the other partner taking religious instruction from a priest, and giving the commitment that the children would be brought up in the Catholic faith.

My Grandad had to do that to marry my nan, and i think my dad had to do it to marry my mum..

My mum was a catholic school teacher and, when she got divorced, was banned from teaching in one, and went and got a job in a proper school...

john..

My Grandad had to do that to marry my nan, and i think my dad had to do it to marry my mum..

My mum was a catholic school teacher and, when she got divorced, was banned from teaching in one, and went and got a job in a proper school...

john..
Yes, my Mam had to do it to marry my dad , they were not allowed to be married at the alter , the ceremony had to be performed in the vestry.

When I grew up and wanted to be married in the same church : my future wife was church of England , the priest refused , that was in the 70's.

My mum was a catholic school teacher and, when she got divorced, was banned from teaching in one, and went and got a job in a proper school..
Good grief ...us and them  Eh!      ( I like the bit in red . )   

the ceremony had to be performed in the vestry.

When I grew up and wanted to be married in the same church : my future wife was church of England , the priest refused , that was in the 70's.
And they wonder why attendances are dropping . 

I hate to tell you this, I’ve photographed a fair number of catholic/protestant weddings here in the UK. All that is included in the service is that the congregation prays that either the bride or groom adopts the faith.

The last catholic/protestant wedding I photographed the service lasted 3½ hours, I nipped out to the local pub several times.

BTW I’m a Methodist (read in to that what you will.)

Lol, my parents wedding was in the forties, mine was in 74, I think they have mellowed since then lol.

I photographed a few of them too , even if the bride and groom are the same faith they still go on longer than most other faiths.

Don't blame you for going for a drink , up here we were always invited to the reception, not just for the cutting of the cake either . :) Guinness

Mums side of the family is Liverpool Irish originally from Cork area I believe, Dad is protestant, Manchester area. I was raised Catholic, and couldn't give a flying firk for religion, but I've always liked the Methodists. Oddly enough my wifes great grandad was a Methodist minister in Plymouth, The world is small place whihj is why I don't like the politics of hate from any side.

My fathwr was Scots/Irish catholic ,.My Mam was Scots/Northumbrian Cof E. I was also brought up catholic  , I still have faith , but I am not affiliated to anyone now .

I remember being hugely impressed by Billy Graham In the late sixties .

I went to see him at the City Hall in Newcastle . That man could stir you..

I tried to give you a scoob , but I am out of them lol.

Its all changed over here now, my daughter(Irish catholic) got married last year to a nice English man (C of E ) all in the RC church right up the front, he did not have to promise to do anything but, Love and honour, the PP just want them to stay together and not to let religion get in the way, better together been different religion's than split up then same one.

back home it's still hard to have mixed a Marriage ,in the big city's they can get lost if they want ,but so easy in the country, everybody  want's to know your business     

Someone once said ...." If there was no God man would have invented one"  

You have to think twice about that statement .

There are many of them , the Hindus have cornered the market, there loads nof them   ,   Brahma,   Vishnu & Shiva  to name three .

The best I heard was the discovery of a tribe on a remote island near Borneo,  their God , they said , was in the sky & flew over every day ....not the Sun , not the Moon .... turned out to be an aircraft making a regular trip between somewhere and Australia . 

When my cousin got married a couple of years ago he had to attend some stuff for (iirc) 13 weeks prior, so he was allowed to be married in RC church, but I don't think he had to actually change or promise the kids would be anything in particular.

FWIW , my wife's dad is RC, but she never practised, (I don't think he did either, he certainly doesn't now) , 

It is a much less 'thing' in England, than it is in countryside NI ,

It was really funny when we (my wife actually) wanted to get our first born christened, CoE, they came out to see us , 3 of them, (as neither of us are church goers) , and the lady said, we cater for everyone, Methodists, CoE, etc etc, when I said I was Presbyterian, she gently shook her head in dismay, :slap

Its was interesting as one of the godparents was also one, so they kinda ran out of people to give candles to, some people had candles in both hands,  :pmsl1:

My missus was a bit mortified, but that's how it goes,

The wedding only got better,  :pmsl1:

Just returning to  bombing innocent people ,  If I remember correctly , among the many injured and the dead of the B,ham Pub Bombs were a quite high percentage of folk of Irish extraction .    Which would figure really , this being Birmingham .  

It achieved a surge of hatred against the Irish in the City which was very short lived seeing as we had lived & worked together for many years ...common sense prevailed. 

Just returning to  bombing innocent people ,  If I remember correctly , among the many injured and the dead of the B,ham Pub Bombs were a quite high percentage of folk of Irish extraction .    Which would figure really , this being Birmingham .  

It achieved a surge of hatred against the Irish in the City which was very short lived seeing as we had lived & worked together for many years ...common sense prevailed. 
A massive difference I think though Deke, the Irish, like a lot of immigrants, assimilated, they kept their own ways, but also blended into the English way of life,

Unlike some immigrants that want to live in their own areas, and mix with no one that is not of their ilk, and not 'inter' marriage, or any of the other things that makes UK a mixing pot,

Look at the Sikhs, Hindus, Barbadians, Gurkha's, and all the others of different backgrounds that have happily made the UK home.

I've deliberately left out Aussies, kiwis etc, 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mum's a Catholic, Dad's a Protestant. Mum was disowned by her family when she went back to Limerick and told them she was getting married in the 50's. Took 20+ years for the wounds to heal. Somehow my brother managed to visit Limerick in the 70's when not long out of the British Army and come back unscathed. I reckon they only welcomed him and looked after him for fear Mum would stop sending the bloody great care packages she used to send! I spent my childhood being dragged round jumble sales with her saying "Try this on, you're the same size as John!" Or "That'll fit Dolores/Bernie/Theresa....".

Left me and my brother to make up our own minds on religion. (I still haven't). The Gurkhas I work with have it right I reckon, celebrate everything from Divali to Guy Fawkes as long as they can make an excuse for a beer and barbie.

I've a friend whose father converted to Catholicism whenever he met and married my friend's mother.  The Protestant family were non too pleased, one brother who was a member of the UVF came after his own brother with a gun and was ready to kill him for "betraying" his roots. He escaped after a sister intervened, but he remained estranged from his own family.

When my friend was 16 he was quite a good boxer. He was coming second in NI tournaments. This made him a target for being a half-breed. Once again loyalist bully boys were ready to target him, he received death threats etc however his estranged Protestant great-grandfather who "stormed the beaches of Normandy" and was involved in the setting up of the local UVF in the early 70s managed to intervene, as he still held a certain sway and respect amongst the loyalists so his Fenian great grandson was spared.

My friend is in his mid 20s now, and his current girlfriend is a Catholic whose father was also originally a Protestant but converted when he met his wife.

And for the benefit of @steptoe and @poni I'm talking about deepest rural mid-Ulster here 😉

PS I'm sorry for bringing this up on a thread about victims of terrorism, I'm not looking to make a point, it was just everyone was talking about mixed marriages etc 

The thing that really annoys me about today is the ignorance of a lot of people who really ought to know better! Recently I was having a somewhat heated debate with a police officer, he was saying that we need multiculturalism and that it is a good idea, I had to disagree. Multiculturalism is the situation whereby people from different backgrounds live in the same place, whether they chose to mix or not doesn't enter the equation, and that leads to situations like we have in our country at the moment.

What is needed and unfortunately I don't believe will ever happen is integration, which is where people of different ethnic backgrounds and religions come together. Look back a couple of decades and see the large areas around Blackburn, Burnley, Bradford, and other parts of the United kingdom that are populated predominately by members of the Asian community, they could have lived spread out across the country, instead they chose to live in large groups in certain areas. The same is happening with the modern day migrants, be they from Afghanistan, Poland, or any of the other countries whose people decide to live here, I remember last year when the government said they'd prevent ghettoization by spreading these people across the country, fine in theory but you cannot, in a free society force people to live in certain places. They will naturally group together according to their ethnicity and or religion, quite often as a result of this they have no need or desire to learn the language of the host country.

I am constantly amazed at the lengths our government goes to, to accommodate these people's wishes and their desire not to learn our language, Recently there was a foreign couple visited our local hospital, they were entitled to claim their bus fares back and wanted the money their and then, when told they had to fill in a form and send it to the relevant place they gave it the old "no speak English" bit, with their total lack of English they had managed to take 2 buses and arrive at the hospital, yet they insisted on an interpreter being brought in while one of them received treatment.

Recently I heard of immigrants being given satnavs, to help them find their way around as they are unable to read road signs, this begs the question, should they actually be allowed to drive, how do they go on, on motorways when the emergency messages are displayed on the overhead gantries?

The other thing is when people accuse you of being racist because you object to the Islamic way of life, Islam is a creed or religion, it isn't a race and therefore one cannot be accused of being racist if one doesn't like it, If one was to say they didn't like Catholics, or Protestants, or Jews or any other religion they are not being racist. One the other hand if one was to say they didn't like Indians, or Chinese, or White people, or Polish, then that would in deed be racism! Is it any wonder we have some of the problems we are facing when people who are running the country cannot distinguish between, multiculturalism and integration and also what and what is not racism. Perhaps if we had more integration then those who carry out atrocities like Manchester would find it more difficult to do so.  

@rapparee  :Applaud :Salute

Never heard that before, its fkn brilliant,

I'll regale you of a tale from many many moons ago, when I was still living in that little fkd up beautiful land,

Maybe once a month, or more, I'd be on the Rail and sail to Manchester, get the boat on a Thursday (or friday) night, be back for work on a Monday morning,

Anyway, I happened to be on the Celtic boat one night (for our English readers, when rangers and Celtic were playing one boat company took the rangers supporters, the other the Celtic supporters), as you can imagine, a lot of singing and beverage consumption was underway, and they started singing Willie McBride/green fields of France/insert other name here,

Well, they got told in no uncertain terms that someone had complained and if they didn't refrain from party sings then their supporters club would he banned from further sailings,

Fk that, I was enjoying myself, so I started singing Willie McBride, I got told the same by the crew, I told them I couldn't care less, I wasn't in their supporters club, and furthermore, I was a fkn rangers fan anyway, not that I gave a fk about football, I was going on the piss in Manchester,

What happened next was a change of atmosphere, Celtic supporters shouting requests and sending beer over, obviously a lot of stuff I didn't know, but I sang what I did, Rising of the Moon (my uncle I was going on the lash with sang in a Irish 'rebel' group in south Manchester) was a favourite apparently, even though I sang like a trapped dog, the tune didn't seem to matter too much.  

I ended up getting a lift from Stranraer to Glasgow station on their club bus, and apart from all they had on board was ****ty Tennents, it was some fkn session.!!!!

Guinness

@rapparee  :Applaud :Salute

Never heard that before, its fkn brilliant,

I'll regale you of a tale from many many moons ago, when I was still living in that little fkd up beautiful land,

Maybe once a month, or more, I'd be on the Rail and sail to Manchester, get the boat on a Thursday (or friday) night, be back for work on a Monday morning,

Anyway, I happened to be on the Celtic boat one night (for our English readers, when rangers and Celtic were playing one boat company took the rangers supporters, the other the Celtic supporters), as you can imagine, a lot of singing and beverage consumption was underway, and they started singing Willie McBride/green fields of France/insert other name here,

Well, they got told in no uncertain terms that someone had complained and if they didn't refrain from party sings then their supporters club would he banned from further sailings,

Fk that, I was enjoying myself, so I started singing Willie McBride, I got told the same by the crew, I told them I couldn't care less, I wasn't in their supporters club, and furthermore, I was a fkn rangers fan anyway, not that I gave a fk about football, I was going on the piss in Manchester,

What happened next was a change of atmosphere, Celtic supporters shouting requests and sending beer over, obviously a lot of stuff I didn't know, but I sang what I did, Rising of the Moon (my uncle I was going on the lash with sang in a Irish 'rebel' group in south Manchester) was a favourite apparently, even though I sang like a trapped dog, the tune didn't seem to matter too much.  

I ended up getting a lift from Stranraer to Glasgow station on their club bus, and apart from all they had on board was ****ty Tennents, it was some fkn session.!!!!

Guinness
I'm one of those odd people who doesn't really care who or what you are, if you're ok with me then I'm fine with you, I have many friends from all backgrounds and area's. I never realised how bad the Irish problem used to be until I heard a story about a group of kids from the South who where taken on a holiday by an organisation. now unbeknown to everyone this group had also taken an equal group of kids from the North, when they met there was much distrust, but by the end of the week they were getting on quite happily together. The bit that got me was when one of the kids said he was surprised how normal the other group was and that they didn't have horns and cloven feet, he'd been brought up to believe that people from the "other side" were the devil incarnate, very sad indeed!

If this idea of allowing people to come here is to work then we must put aside any perceived differences and all get along, and that means everyone, be you Irish, Polish, Indian, Pakistani, Greek, German or whatever country you come from we must all get along and if that means "grassing up" one of your "own" then so be it. I can't believe that nobody knew that those responsible for the atrocities in Manchester were planning something, I remember being in Liverpool in the late 70's early 80's when the IRA were carrying out bombings, now Liverpool has a lot of Irish people and there were also lots who used to come over on the boats to shop and then return home. These people were getting grief off the locals as a result of the attacks, they began to tip police off if they knew anything iffy was going on. This proved to the doubters that they did indeed want to become part of the local community and fit in with everyone else, this is what the Muslim people must do, then and only then will people start to believe that they want to become a part of our country and not just take it over.  

Latest posts