Manufacturing fault in cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rather than hijack another thread i thought i would put a few quite boring pictures here.

We had carried out insulation resistance testing on this cable months back, its for one of 3, 3kw immersion heaters in a house. A year later it gets energised & Zs tested. I am imformed by my guy on site that immersion must be faulty as it trips the 16A Rcbo every now & then. Then every couple of days. I was on site all of last week and the Rcbo would not reset. After testing i realised there was a cable fault (95% finished house)

To cut this short i cut the cable where it disappeared into the abyss and was surprised the top end which could be pulled back had the fault. New leg pulled in, jointed, tested & turned on.

I then started cutting the 8m long length of 2.5 Tw&e in half & in half until i had this faulty (L to E) piece of cable in my hand

imm4.jpg

It looked ok so i sliced open one side

imm5.jpg

Still looked ok inside

imm6.jpg

Turned it over, sooty

imm3.jpg

Had a close look & found this. You can see where something has gone through at about 45 degrees. It scraped the cpc enough to give a rough edge that pierced the brown insulation. The sheath was undamaged though. I pulled the cable in and this part was under a sealed floor. I can only think it was like that before the sheath was extruded at the factory

imm1.jpg

imm2.jpg

Have you told the cable manufacturer about this?

Would they be interested or not though?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:44 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:43 ----------

I guess this fault didn't show up in your testing?

It was clear on testing, i recon the rough edge on the cpc worked its way into the brown insulation and the arcing and carbon build up affected the insulation later. No name on the bit of cable i pulled out, only the BASEC numbers

If you click on the top bit of the last 2 pics (to enlarge) you can see how rough the cable is. Not bad pics for my Samsung Galaxy s phone

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks slips, I take it this is the fault you spoke about on another thread? Thanks for the photo's, I bet that was one fault you had never even thought existed. Am I correct in thinking that the sheath was undamaged? or did I miss that.

I believe Batty had a piece of cable with a low ins. reading, when I was there.

If tested at 1KV, you could hear the breakdown; yet the outer was undamaged.....

I intended to get the meters in, and try to determine where the fault was; but managed to totally forget, until now.

I think it highlights a requirement to do an IR test on full rolls of cable ( I now do an end-to-end resistance, too), before using any!

I have never seen this before, but thanks to the vigilance of people like yourself I am now aware that this fault is possible. Well done on finding this fault, I think that alone is worthy of a scoob.

All our cable comes from 'Proper' wholesalers so i would assume its not some Turkish snide.

Unrelated to this fault, who can tell me what 100m of each of the common size cables resistance should be, so this can also be checked on the drum to ensure its not undersized ?

1mm - 100M - 1.81 ohms

1.5mm - 100M - 1.21 ohms

2.5mm - 100M - 0.741 ohms

4.0mm - 100M - 0.461 ohms

6.0mm - 100M - 0.308 ohms

10mm - 100M - 0.183 ohms

16mm - 100M - 0.115 ohms

:)

Since a similar incident last year ive taken to testing the cable on the reel before even doing anything.