Cut busbar & cable used to connect breaker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse the ignorance as I'm still new to solar learning side of things but why would you put solar on mcb not rcd where permissible
Because they don't always work well with RCDs, although that issue has mostly disappeared over the years. They mostly have RCD protection for the AC built in to the inverter anyway.

Isn’t the question why would you put PV on an RCD?
The reason I'd have said you would install rcd protection is due to the DC panels being on the roof in all weathers I've got solar and its run through an rcd in the house cu (rcbo board fully ) so I guess I've just done it more as peace of mind my solar is enphase inverters not one inverter on the wall but several inverters onw per solar panel so have DC and ac on the roof tops

The reason I'd have said you would install rcd protection is due to the DC panels being on the roof in all weathers I've got solar and its run through an rcd in the house cu (rcbo board fully ) so I guess I've just done it more as peace of mind my solar is enphase inverters not one inverter on the wall but several inverters onw per solar panel so have DC and ac on the roof tops

Our PV is on a MCB :)

That's a bit different, your frame should be bonded to the earth as well. I don't think those micro-inverters have built in RCD for the AC side. DC side is fairly irrelevant as it's in the 30v range. If you have the system on a RCBO, and it's not causing any issues, then that is fine, although I would say you still don't need it, it's not like you are going to plug your lawn mower into that cct.

That's a bit different, your frame should be bonded to the earth as well. I don't think those micro-inverters have built in RCD for the AC side. DC side is fairly irrelevant as it's in the 30v range. If you have the system on a RCBO, and it's not causing any issues, then that is fine, although I would say you still don't need it, it's not like you are going to plug your lawn mower into that cct.
Ok thanks for clearing it up with solar pv

Latest posts