Maximum Watts on 13 amp fused spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLMCEM

Reaction score
Hi

Just installed a fused 13 amp spur to conservatory.

Have calculated that the total load on this spur would be as foillows.

1. 3kh wall mounted heater

2. 19 inch TV rated at 60 watts.

3. Cordless phone charger ??

4. 2 wall lights about 0.50 watt

Based on the above, the estimated total wattage is about 3062 watts, is this excessive or OK for a 13 amp fused spur. I know a 13 amp fused spur can support 3kh, but will the extra watts i.e. 62 approx cause problems.

Thanks

HiJust installed a fused 13 amp spur to conservatory.

Based on the above, the estimated total wattage is about 3062 watts, is this excessive or OK for a 13 amp fused spur. I know a 13 amp fused spur can support 3kh, but will the extra watts i.e. 62 approx cause problems.

Thanks
Power is calculated as Current x Volts, the UK nominal voltage is 230v but this can and does fluctuate, it is more often around the traditional 240v figure or higher. 13a @ 230v is 2990watts. 13a @ 240v is 3120watts. manufactures power ratings are not a precise science and a fuse does not blow the second it reaches 13.1Amps. You will probably find everything works fine. If not all that will happen is you fuse will occasionally blow. Your only options then are turn something off, or rewire the circuit to cater for the additional load. The fuse will be doing its job in protecting the cable.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doc

If I do get a blown fuse, I will take the easy road, and get a 2KW heater, which is available for the DeLonghi heater I have, this will down rate the watts by 1000, which gives me a far greater degree of leeway. M4TTY yes the lights are downrated to 3amp .

Thanks

Thanks DocIf I do get a blown fuse, I will take the easy road, and get a 2KW heater, which is available for the DeLonghi heater I have, this will down rate the watts by 1000, which gives me a far greater degree of leeway. M4TTY yes the lights are downrated to 3amp .

Thanks
Some portable heaters have built in thermostats that can automatically turn the appliance off/on as the ambient temperature changes, so the heater, though plugged in and switched on, may not be drawing full power all of the time anyway.

Doc H.

Yes Doc the heater is fully thermostatic controlled, but in a bitter winters day, the thermostat rarely kicks in, I am sure you know that heat goes thru glass on a winters day, like S... thru a goose, but point taken

HlmCem

All I can say to that is don't sit out there in the winter, come into a warmer room with a big log fire going, they don't take much electricity!

Doc H.

I know , then it went on and on and on and on and on and on , so I thought I'd suggest the bleedin' obvious (as Basil would say) and bring an end to the whole sordid affair of trying to get a quart from a pint pot.

Problem :-

Supply restricted to 13A

Load greater than 13A

Answer:-

Reduce load.

I would think you are askiing for trouble as it is. A 13 amp spur at 13 amps for a sustained time in the winter will eventually pack up. Conservatories just loose so much heat as you say. I would come inside and just use it in the summer and you can probably guess i don't like conservatories.

I can see which way this is going, but again,stating what

we should all know the Fusing Factor on BS1361 is between

1.2 and 1.3.

HiJust installed a fused 13 amp spur to conservatory.

Thanks
0.5 watt for 2 lights I think not

Latest posts