may have F**ked up!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
accepted i would not wire it like this in my bathroom but if its for my assessment and the customer didnt state they want a accessible kill switch for the fan i woudnt install one.

i cant see a spur controlling the fan and lighting a non compliance? but i could be proved wrong.

accepted i would not wire it like this in my bathroom but if its for my assessment and the customer didnt state they want a accessible kill switch for the fan i woudnt install one. i cant see a spur controlling the fan and lighting a non compliance? but i could be proved wrong.
I have always only used fan isolation switches and no spurs and never have had problems on my assessments.

Batty

Plenty of sparks put no isolators in at all.

I undestood it that no 240V switch gear should be in the bathroom in or out of zones, apart from pull switch because of suitability for the environment. However, talk nicely to inspector bloke and go 'oh silly me look what I did, v sorry won't do it again, promise to fix soonish' and he'll probably let you off anyway.
Binky - thought you could now have a normal light switch or even a socket outlet if outside of zone?

Binky - thought you could now have a normal light switch or even a socket outlet if outside of zone?
Only if suitable for enviroment so I would not put a normal light switch in any bathroom. Could use mk masterseal though

I undestood it that no 240V switch gear should be in the bathroom in or out of zones, apart from pull switch because of suitability for the environment. However, talk nicely to inspector bloke and go 'oh silly me look what I did, v sorry won't do it again, promise to fix soonish' and he'll probably let you off anyway.
another old MYTH I am afraid!

BS7671 pages 165 to 169 covers regulations for rooms containing a bath or shower.

e.g.

701.512.2 External influences.

zone 0 at least IPX7.

zone 1 and 2 IPX4.

OUTSIDE OF ZONES... no major problems UNLESS exposed to water jets

e.g. for washing down / cleaning at least IPX5.

i.e.

3pole Isolators,

fused spurs

light switches

CAN be installed INSIDE the bathroom..

provided not in zones 0,1 or 2!

even a socket outlet can be fitted if its 3m horizontally from edge of zone 1

STEAM and moisture are not much worse than in a kitchen during cooking where sockets & switches can be within 300mm of ovens sinks etc.!!!

:|

Only if suitable for enviroment so I would not put a normal light switch in any bathroom. Could use mk masterseal though
Normal light switch is suitable provided you are not hosing your walls down.

and its outside of zones. ;)

Correct Patch!:DApplaud SmileyGuiness Drink

you could have a normal switch outside of zones in old regs as well!

ye old zone 3 requirements referenced to IPX5 IF communal baths & showers where wall may be hosed down for cleaning.

reg 60106-01, Bottom of page 135 old brown book!

your average domestic bathroom is an environment with minimal adverse external influences......

other wise the wallpaper would keep falling off the walls

and the towels on the towel rail would be dripping wet

and you would never have found a bathroom with carpet

cuz it would have been sodden!

:|

I think some contractors avoid putting anything in a bathroom for fear of sticking it in the wrong place. :(

Latest posts