mcb testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rovers1982

Reaction score
Work advertised in my area to test faulty mcb's & replacing if necessary, am i right in thinking that Psc & Pefc results measured & results taken & checked against mcb ratings.

testing of MCB's is rarely carried out. they would normally be taken off-site for testing.

only other form of 'testing' i can think of would be to check Zs is low enough that MCB will trip with required time

Last week we did a sample test of 2 MCB's a Type B 10A and a Type C 16A by current injecting at 1xIn and 2xIn. This to to check that they operated in line with the curves in the BRB. It is a long story on why we did this, but needless to say it is not a test we normally do. They both operated OK.

Cheers Steve

Last week we did a sample test of 2 MCB's a Type B 10A and a Type C 16A by current injecting at 1xIn and 2xIn. This to to check that they operated in line with the curves in the BRB. It is a long story on why we did this, but needless to say it is not a test we normally do. They both operated OK. Cheers Steve
What did you use to inject the current ? Just interested in how this is done. And why arnt mcbs checked, as rcds are?

why arnt mcbs checked, as rcds are?
Because MCBs are only rated for a certain no. of "trips" before they`re considered U/S. Though, as I was discussing with another forum member today, how do you know, when you arrive at a board, how many times a particular MCB has tripped??

Yep but you'll only do it once!

:p :p :p

GOT to go to bed now, REALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

:good night: :good night: :good night: :good night: :good night: :good night: :good night:

Thanks for that

Unsure why tests being carried out but it is happening to substantial amount of properties in Roptherham & also agencies are asking for this type of work in Doncaster, Chesterfield, Licoln & S****horpe but work description very vague.

May be able to find out more today.

Thanks All

What did you use to inject the current ? Just interested in how this is done. And why arnt mcbs checked, as rcds are?
Hi m4tty. We have a current injection set that does up to about 50A. We use it a lot for checking motor overloads. This was a 'one of' checking of MCB's as it is not a common test, because as kme mentioned they are not designed to do loads of tripping. We just had some suspicions about a batch, as it turned out they were OK.

Cheers Steve

Hi there,

When I worked at Rolls Royce, we tested new MCBs and performed scheduled testing of existing MCBs.

This was many years ago - where we had a custom made injector (testers weren't that common then).

Nowadays there are some decent testers about - but they aren't cheap! :eek:

MCCBs/ACBs anyone? ;)

O.