MCB to fit LAP consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are so concerned feel free to drop into Elex Coventry in September and have a chat with the manufacturers and let, its the least you could do about your concerns really. Otherwise you are just another spark screeching into the void while not doing a damn thing to try and change anything.

If you are so concerned feel free to drop into Elex Coventry in September and have a chat with the manufacturers and let, its the least you could do about your concerns really. Otherwise you are just another spark screeching into the void while not doing a damn thing to try and change anything.

Sounds quite sensible to me.

I was just going to leave negative reviews of BS7671 on Amazon.

😛

the same way as it's the data, comms etc. installers that are the worst offenders with regard to inadequately supported cables,

ahem!........ALL of them?     Bit harsh😉
OK, most of those that are, "just", data/comms installers, those who think that BS 7671 and other, statutory documents do not apply to them because they "only" install data cables.

OK, most of those that are, "just", data/comms installers, those who think that BS 7671 and other, statutory documents do not apply to them because they "only" install data cables.
Nice recovery there 😂😂

I was first told of this ( suitable fixings) by my NICEIC AE some  30 years ago when we had used plastic knock in clips on a fire alarm job

I'm going to bring up the old argument ..again !!!  .....  just out of interest .

Theres that LAP board  with  a row of MCBs  manufactured to BS 60898    ....theres a man who's added a circuit only to find that LAP parts  have disappeared off the radar.  He finds a quality MCB  to BS 60898  made by the finest company in the world  and it fits the profiles of the  LAP board ....the build quality of this MCB is  1,000,000 times better than the LAP .

1.  Will this MCB compromise the rating of the LAP board ?

2. What exactly is likely to happen ?

3. Why is it a problem when if the boards are built to the same standard?  

4.  Does anyone actually know what will happen to a board with a rogue  breaker fitted ,  apart from one that obviously doesn't fit  and has been wedged in somhow? 

5.  After a certain time cars are fitted with  parts from other manufacturers ,  tyres of all makes are fitted  & mixed with the originals  but are presumably made to the same international standards.         Washing machines are fitted with  non manufacturer parts .

Just asking . 

About ten years ago , there was a minor disaster at the printers and two spiral binders had to be moved  and working for Monday morning .  

I made this board up out of our stock to power two 16A  x TPN sockets .     

Its still there .

I await the midnight knock with some trepidation . 

Image008.jpg

The decision is yours, you just need to realise that you need to be competent to act as the manufacturer, and have insurance to act as the manufacturer of the assembly as you are not modifying it with all the non-compliant kit in it, even though if the rest were Wylex you would be fine.

I will be adding a Wylex MCB to a Wylex CU .........................

If I start stating that the client needs to replace the whole board, or all the RCBO's .............. he would have shown me the door .............. Harok are 1/2 the price of Wylex ............

Nobody will police the mix and match reg ............................ so nothing will change .............. except the mugs like me who will continue to fix OEM where-ever possible

What a load of bull **** if the council, designers and contractors had behaved in a diligent ethical manner the incident would have been contained to the starting location. They allowed bad practice to become normal practice and it came back to bite them big time. 

I hate to write this BUT if the DLCG wrote their documents with far more clarity and less "interpretation" things wouldn't go off the rails ............

Things will get far worse ....................... not many people read the rules ............. many people believe rules are made up and / or written by people with vested interests, then there are the ever growing band of people who work to a standard that means cheap and who cares ............................... nobody, who acts on poor work ....................................... nobody.....

Murdoch,

Same thing, DCLG are capable of the normalisation of deviance too.

DCLG are simply incompetent ...................... 

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be adding a Wylex MCB to a Wylex CU .........................

If I start stating that the client needs to replace the whole board, or all the RCBO's .............. he would have shown me the door .............. Harok are 1/2 the price of Wylex ............

Nobody will police the mix and match reg ............................ so nothing will change .............. except the mugs like me who will continue to fix OEM where-ever possible

I agree Murdoch, it is a shambles, and it is made worse by the confusion, and the ulterior motives of the "powers that be" in the industry who are only there for their own or their employers to make more profit at the expense of everyone else.

However, the other breakers already there make the unit non-compliant with the law, and by fitting another breaker, that doesn't make it any better.

As you say it's not policed, and controlled, and nothing will happen until someone dies, then little will happen apart from to those directly involved, there will be a witch hunt for them, but the rest of the industry will not be made to improve.

Only the authors of the regs would have such an opinion on them .................. and be so distant from reality.

How distant from reality?

Remember everyone is entitled to their view, and that view is based on the work that they do, and their training and experience.

Most of the work I do these days is compliance related, so a detailed knowledge of the law and the standards around the area I am working is essential, though I still do some EICR's and other electrical works, some design, and some industrial and commercial installations, machinery repairs and modifications.

Latest posts